[newbie] Smokin' like a Son of a Gun (w/pic)

nitroguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

As you may know, I'm totally new at this game. Honestly, I'll admit that I know NOTHING about this truck, even things that should be common sense, aren't (YET!). I WILL learn it, but it takes time. Small gas engines and big diesel engines have quite different characteristics, and I'm learning. So bear with me.

That said, here's my first question: IS THIS NORMAL??
You must be registered for see images attach

Got the truck three days ago, and I certainly don't remember this type of smoke. Here's what I know:

*Bought the truck three from a reputable diesel mechanic. Just before he sold it, he pulled the engine replaced head gaskets and "sealed up the engine from common leak points".
*I think Glow Plugs are new too, but don't actually have any verification of that.
*I'm down to 1/4 tank on the front one. Recently switched to tank B for the first time.
*Was driving home yesterday and there was a pretty strong rubbing sound from the front (probably be another thread on that in the future). Pulled off the freeway, fiddled, and pulled back into traffic with a pretty heavy foot. In doing so, TONS of white smoke poured out the back. The engine was just about up to operating temperature, ambient air was maybe 45 degrees. By the time I tried to pull back out of traffic to investigate (and pray I didn't just blow up my new engine) the smoking stopped and all was good. No more smoke the rest of the way home.
*Today at Denny's, got out, and waited to start until the light goes off. Wait another 4 seconds for good measure, then fire her up. Starts first crank, and am showing my buddy my fancy new truck, when I notice "the fog" completely enveloping the car next to me. It's 39 degrees out. Driving back from Denny's, it's smoking like crazy the whole way.

So, I'll repeat: Is this normal?? Is it just because it's cold out that it's doing this? I'm in Seattle, but moving to Montana in a week - if this thing doesn't like cold, I bought the wrong truck (but I love it!).

And if this isn't normal, what could be wrong?

Thanks guys!

89greendiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it cold outside?

he said it was 39 degrees. i'm assuming Fahrenheit...hehe

if it up to temp and still smoking you could have a stuck injector, coolant burning off or oil burning off. If it is definitely white, then i will go with stuck injector or coolant. Are you losing any coolant from your reservoir over time? I know you've only had the truck a short while.

check your fluid levels and consistencies to make sure the fluids aren't mixing or that your cooling system isn't being over pressurized.

My initial ascertainment is a stuck injector. someone did a little write up about ruling out a stuck injector. i can't remember who it was or where it is. i'll look for it.

nitroguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha, yeah. Fahrenheit.

That would be awesome if you could find it. From what I've heard, injectors for these are cheap(er), right? How about difficulty of installing?

So, the short version is that no, it's not normal? Is there a reasonable explanation as to why it's seemingly only doing it after I put my foot into it pretty good that one time? Did I wreck something by accelerating too hard? (I'd hate to think that I can't drive this thing like I want to. Granted, it's not a Corvette, but still...)

And yes, I'll keep my eye on fluids. After just 200 miles, I'm not missing anything, if that helps. :)

Last diagnostic info: My oil pressure gauge on the dash moves around. Seems to mostly doing it when going over bumps, so I've assumed it's simply the sender unit (?) or something, but perhaps it's related to my smoking problem?

Thanks all!

89greendiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i am having trouble finding it. it was buried in a thread not about injectors. anyhow, pretty sure it consisted of just cracking open the lines while running and listening to the motor. ill keep looking

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Take it back to the guy that sold the rig to you. Ask him whats going on... See what he tells you. Seems like some work was done to the engine before you got it. Ask how many miles are on the injecters and injection pump. Usually they last around 125,000 miles. some longer and some shorter. Don't buy injecters or injection pumps from any ebay sellers untill you read up in the Hall of Shame forum. We as a collective have bought from many ebay sources and felt the pain of a cheap messed up product. So the experiances have been paid for and now you wont need to buy the cheapest and learn the same thing. Just reading is better than paying to learn. I think you have an injection pump issue with a possible injecter problem. Sometimes an injecter will fail and leak diesel and that washes down the cylinder ruining it. Also the injection pumps sometimes fail and the adjustable timing ring in them breaks up. then you have a real mess trying to run that engine kinda like what you have now. White smoke means two things. Unburned fuel and it burns your eyes and smells terrible. The other is coolant burning. That will smell sweet... Actually there is athrid reason for white smoke... We have a new Pope.....:D Said with a big smile too.

nitroguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hahaha! Bless you my ... ah, never mind. ;-)

I'll give the shop a call. Stinks because it's an hour from my house, and we're busy trying to pack up from the move. But, I suppose it's better now than when we're in MT!

Here's hoping it's a quick, easy, and cheap fix! I'm loving my new truck, I'd hate to lose it already!!!

Thanks all. I'll report back when I know more.

nitroguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a bit more info.

The Mechanic that sold it received the truck because the Head Gasket went bad and got oil in the coolant (apparently that happens to these engines?). P.O. didn't want to pay for repairs, so gave the mechanic the truck. Mechanic replaced a BUNCH of stuff, then sold it to me. Here's the repair bill of everything that was done before I got it: (click https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/jah7iTbMwQdurISNuuQ9VipSHilN63kifuvuE28EkIw?feat=directlink for big version)

You must be registered for see images attach

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Sniff the exhaust. Does it make your eyes water? Does it smell sweet/and or linger in the air?

If eyes start watering, its fuel related. If its sweet and lingers its coolant related.

nitroguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not sweet smelling. I've burned coolant before (buddy's dirt bike overheats on our tight trails) and it doesn't smell like that. To my untrained nose, it smells like ... a diesel. Like I'm standing behind an old bus.

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
my guess is when you switched the tanks you may have send something through the fuel system to make an injector stick.... try this.....take the fuel filter off and empty it out...then fill the filter with atf (trans fluid) start the truck and let it run for a few seconds then let it sit overnight. then run it and see what happens...

nitroguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks freebird, I'll give that a shot.

More pieces to the puzzle emerge:

Talked to the shop, he said that the injectors are original (!), pump was replaced 4 years ago, but the "return line kit" was just replaced.

It's my non-educated guess that new injectors are probably on the docket? Don't they have an estimated life of around 125k miles? Meaning I'm 75k overdue?
Also, I've read about tips breaking off - do I need to worry that that just happened?

So if I spend $300 and replace my injectors, how hard is it to do the pump at the same time? Is it worth it, or do you think it's good enough to leave alone?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks freebird, I'll give that a shot.

More pieces to the puzzle emerge:

Talked to the shop, he said that the injectors are original (!), pump was replaced 4 years ago, but the "return line kit" was just replaced.

It's my non-educated guess that new injectors are probably on the docket? Don't they have an estimated life of around 125k miles? Meaning I'm 75k overdue?
Also, I've read about tips breaking off - do I need to worry that that just happened?

So if I spend $300 and replace my injectors, how hard is it to do the pump at the same time? Is it worth it, or do you think it's good enough to leave alone?

If you plan to keep this truck, and want to use it and feel comfortable doing the work YES pump and injectors are a great idea...

Doing both lets you know the quality of the two assemblies...I'd suggest finding out about Typ4 BB injectors or Conestoga Diesel, which is owned by Mel known here as Agnem for a Moose pump and some quality injectors.

the IP and ijectors are not all that difficult to do, cumbersome for IP but not overly difficult.

DO NOT remove the IP gear cover and remove the IP that way...it's almost impossible to time the engine correctly once that has been done. Installing the IP back onto the gear is to easy to do a tooth or two out.

The best method is to remove the IP from the IP GEAR HOUSING...it's cumbersome but it is idiot proof to set base timing...can only go back the way it was...NOT one or more teeth out as the above method can

Scroll down this thread here and check out Gary's videos there is one on IP removal for people to see what's involved.

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?45766-Engine-How-To-Video/page3

Hope this helps you out.

Al

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pumps last 100-150K. I'd be more worried about miles on the pump versus age. Fuel injectors can be bought new for 25ea or Typ4 on here sells new injectors that he checks first and pressure matches. If he has injectors available and I had the extra money I would definitely talk to him about injectors. If you wanted to do a pump check with Conestoga Diesel or Mel or Agnem on here. He's the local pump expert and recently bought a diesel shop. He's who I'm getting my next pump from.

If it was me I would probably run a couple bottles of fuel additive/cleaner through my fuel and do the ATF in the filter trick. If the smoke clears up and it runs OK I probably wouldn't mess with it.

And with any new vehicle watch the fluids!

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
What Freebird is trying to get you to do is get ATF to sit in the IP and injectors overnight and soak. This will help clean any crap out and hopefully buy you some time. I would say that injectors are on the horizon for you. A four year old pump, 50-60,000 miles at the most? You may be able to let it ride for a few years. Keep in mind that you will have to have it timed after the new injectors are put in even if you do not touch the IP.

When these engines are right, they have no problem being ran to the governor, they were designed and tested to run that way by International. It really does sound like an injector is ******* fuel away and causing your unwanted smoke.

Your oil pressure gauge is little more than an idiot stick. When your sensor sees 8psi of oil, the gauge moves to the middle of the "normal" range. You may have a loose wire or a bad sensor, most would recommend installing an aftermarket gauge that will really give you some insight as to what your engine is doing. Same thing is suggested for the coolant gauge. Boost and pyro are also highly recommended.