newbi:) what to do first

acousticrawk

Reaction score
im over from the IDI section. im looking at getting a cummins i think because im under the impression its easier to make more power out of a cummins that from an IDI. this being said, after all the general stuff is done maint. wise, what can i do to get some ponies and some big torque!?!? of course some propane, and water, and nitrous are options, but what free stuff can be done like turnin gup pumps and yadda yadda, then should i install head studs and a new HG and turn up the boost? is it possible to make 450hp and 800+ft lbs of torque on stock internals?

thanks guys!

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
The 12valve Cummins trucks are the easiest to make power. If you want to get over the 300 rwhp mark then you'll want to go with a P-pumped 12-valve from '94 to '98. The VE pumps on our 1st gen trucks are usually good up to about 300hp and that's the general limit (yes you can go higher but it takes much more effort.) On those trucks, intake, exhaust, gages, a set of injectors, and a fuel plate should easily get you up to the 400hp mark and cost you maybe $2k. The 350-400 hp realm is where you're going to start looking into another turbo as the HX35 is going to be at its limit there. There's plenty of folks making 400-600 hp on stock internals with water/**** injection and/or porpane/nitrous.

moparguy85

Reaction score
If you want to get over the 300 rwhp mark then you'll want to go with a P-pumped 12-valve from '94 to '98. The VE pumps on our 1st gen trucks are usually good up to about 300hp and that's the general limit (yes you can go higher but it takes much more effort.).

what would it take to put a p-pump on a 1st gen? is the p-pump the only difference between a 1st gen and a 94-98 12- valve?

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
There is more to it than a pump swap. Try a search for P-pump conversion and you may find the info. There was quite a bit to do. There's a company somewhere that makes conversion kits, but I can't find the site right now.