newbi:) what to do first

ro9beam2002

Reaction score
newbi:) what to do first **pics added**

hey guys.. just picked up a 93 250 4x4 auto cummins.. it has arouns 224k miles.. what type of maintenance should i perform? he pretty much said he cjanged the oil and that was about it.. he did replace the turbo about two years ago.. i drove the truck.. shift really smooth.. nice sounding.. what type of oil should i be using with this type of mialage.. he said he used 10w 40 gtx.. what gear ration should i have in both pumpkins? in 93 is the transfer case still a np205? dana 60 and 70 in the rear on a 250?

Last edited:

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Welcome to the site.

10W40 GTX are you sure about that because your engine calls for 15W40 it's a little different. Most guys use Shell Rotella 15W40 as it's a good oil.

As for gear ratio - I would expect to find either a 4.1 or 3.5 but an easy way to check is to jack the rear of the truck up and put her in neutral, then mark a spot on the tire and on the drive shaft. Overtime tags and such get ripped off or rusted off and owners might have them swapped out so by turning and counting you can't go wrong. Now it doesn't sound like he swapped them out but I would still check to be sure.

It should have a 60 in the front and 70 in the rear. I don't know about the transfer case.

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
If the previous owner was using GTX 10W40 then you may be in for a nasty surprise. That oil is not rated for use in a diesel as far as I know and you could have wear issues. I've used Shell Rotella 15W40 in all of my diesels including my '93 and have had good results although I'm probably going to swap to synthetic once I get home for good. Others use the synthetics and you can go that route if that's what floats your boat. Make sure to always use a good quality filter and change it every 5000 miles or so.

If you don't know when the last time the trannie fluid was changed then I'd suggest pulling the pan and swapping out a new filter and replace the ATF with synthetic. The same can be said for the pumpkins. I run Lucas synthetic gear oil in my pumpkins and I'm pleased with the results. Rear end ratios will be either 4.10 or 3.55. The code sheet under the hood will give you an idea but there's always the chance they were changed over the years. Losts of folks swap out teh pumpkin covers in favor of a Mag-Hytec which will add a quart of capacity and keep the fluid cooler.

Before doing any power modifications, get a set of gauges. You'll need a boost and EGT at the very least. If you tow then a trans temp is also a wise choice. And most folks install a tach since these trucks didn't coem with one from the factory. Once you can monitor the engine then you can go from there on bumping the power. There's several posts on here that cover that subject in depth.

Also, fill in your signature with your truck specs so that we will know what you're running if you have a question.

ro9beam2002

Reaction score
yeah i think he might have said 15w 40.. what brand gauges should i look for? what are the popular brands? how do most people mount them.. on the dash..pillars? the truck will be at the house tonight.. will list what i can find out.. ready to start hunting on ebay for them gauges:)

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
I've had Auto Meter gages in my Stroke and liked them. I had teh DiPricol in my '00 CUmmins and they were nice too. I think it comes down to how much you want to spend adn what you want them to look like. I wouldn't put too much stock into fleabay as I haven't found a lot of good deals on there. Plus you don't really know what you're getting and from whom. I'd suggest a reputable vendor such as those who advertise on this site.

For these 1st gen trucks you're stuck with a 2-gage a-pillar pod and bullett mounts for individual gages on the dash. I've heard that the column mount for the '94 and up trucks works in the '93 trucks too but I can't swear to that. I've also seen some older trucks with a triple gague dash mount but I"ve never been able to find out who sells them.

rubberfish

Reaction score
Welcome to the site ro9beam2002. :)
Two gauges and a pod should run you about
$250ish and up. Depending on your tastes.

ro9beam2002

Reaction score
is it normal for the motor to vibrate or shudder when turned off?

fuzzy1626

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
is it normal for the motor to vibrate or shudder when turned off?

Don't know how much compression a first gen. Cummins has, but it must be close to an IDI. If so the shudder is the compression stopping the engine dead when the key is turned off.:D :D

ro9beam2002

Reaction score
have pics now

well finally got a few pics up.. i think i got a fairly good deal on it.. has the le trim.. etc.. only problem no maintenace records.. but everything looks original? "look at the motor pics if anything looks aftermarket post it"... and has 224k miles.. motor runs smooth and shifts great.. with this milage what brand oil should i be using? syn or dino? i plan on getting gauges first.. then doing a few things to it.. nothing extrem though.. 2-2.5 inch lift and biger tires.. etc.. aftermarket exhaust.. manifold..etc.. click on the pics to make larger.....

You must be registered for see images attach

fuzzy1626

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks great! About the oil; I've always heard syn oil leaks past worn seal worst than dino, but they may not be true anymore with the newer syn's.

ro9beam2002

Reaction score
thanks.. actually the truck looks better in the pics than does in person.. needs paint.. "but i cant complain for what i paid for the truck:)" he said the turbo was rebuilt about 2 years ago.. the housing looks new.. just debating on using synthetic now or just using the regular dino oil

ro9beam2002

Reaction score
curious also.. did they delete the rams head on the hood in 93? have seen a few without in 93??

90CampRam

They got rid of the Ram head in 90.5-91 models.. My 90 HAD a Ram hood ornament..until I brought her home 3 weeks ago.. I think the neighbors kid ripped it off on me the 3rd night it was in the driveway.. But I can't be too sure. Now I am searching EBAY for one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online