New to us 09 TDI!!!

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey TDIer's!

Now that I've got my TDI after 6 years of searching, what are the weak links??

It's an 09 with now 65,000 on the "O".

What about add ons? Upgrades?

Thanks.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
The weak like is your High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP). For some reason, some of them randomly fail. And when they do, boy howdy do they take out your whole fuel system, and sometimes damage engine internals. From what I read, to replace everything at the dealer from a HPFP failure is somewhere around $6000. Most think its because of poor fuel, or water in fuel, but nothing concrete has been found as to why they fail.

Upgrades? Well you can get a "offroad only" tune and delete your muffler, DPF, and Cat. Is it a manual or DSG (auto) tranny?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Now that the 09's have been out awhile, what are some other problems some have?

Have the dpf's caused any problems?

I'm actually looking at a 06 tdi 1.9? With the DSG, for my second half. I loved it. Auto for her, but I can still shift it like a manual.
But anyways her father says "blah blah blah get a brand new car with a warranty rabble rabble rabble DIESEL'S SUCK blah blah" I wanted to slap him. Lol
Apparently in the 80's he had a diesel rabbit.

To me, it's her money. And diesel's have come a LONG ways since he last had one. He also said they WILL NOT start in the winter without being plugged in. Lol What a hawk of Crapola.
End rant.

Basically what I'm getting after is 2006- vs 2009+ TDI's.

I guess I should've started a new thread, but I wouldn't to see how captTom's is holding up.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now that the 09's have been out awhile, what are some other problems some have?

Have the dpf's caused any problems?

I'm actually looking at a 06 tdi 1.9? With the DSG, for my second half. I loved it. Auto for her, but I can still shift it like a manual.
But anyways her father says "blah blah blah get a brand new car with a warranty rabble rabble rabble DIESEL'S SUCK blah blah" I wanted to slap him. Lol
Apparently in the 80's he had a diesel rabbit.

To me, it's her money. And diesel's have come a LONG ways since he last had one. He also said they WILL NOT start in the winter without being plugged in. Lol What a hawk of Crapola.
End rant.

Basically what I'm getting after is 2006- vs 2009+ TDI's.

I guess I should've started a new thread, but I wouldn't to see how captTom's is holding up.
FWIW I don't think the '06's had the DSG; the DSG came around on the '09 TDI's. I don't have any direct experience with either the '06 or '09 cars, but IMHO they both have their advantages and detriments. The PD engines have the camshaft issue; the '09+ have the DPF that, as I understand it, kills fuel mileage. I will say this, though...I haven't driven a PD, but I test-drove a couple of '09's with the common-rail engine, and it'll run circles around my ALH ;Sweet I'm wary enough about the camshaft issues that I would go with an '09 over a PD engine...

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
That's good to know.
I read that the common rail engine was pretty good.
And in my area we don't have emissions testing, so the dpf would probably go byebye eventually.

But the car buying got put off for awhile. So we'll keep looking, and I'll keep doing some research.

j2005

Reaction score
we bought an 09 with the dsg for the wife and we love it. bought it with 110k on the clock and not had any major problems after 5k miles. the dpf system is a pain in the ass tho...cant take it out with out a lot of work to the ecu and such. the pressure sensors (yes there are 2 of them...1 behind the oil cap and the other on the pass fender) are a pain in the ass to diagnose. check engine light came on and just says p047a exhaust pressure sensor fault. apparently the first batch that came with the cars were not all that great but the "redesign" one is better.

all in all we love getting 40+ mpg on the hw and about 33-35 in town.

m885

Reaction score
Check out Green Diesel Engineering in MI. They do some good tunes for the Euro stuff. Got their stuff on my Liberty CRD. They also do MB. Say bye bye to the the EGR and some other unwanted stuff.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
The tune, dpf delete, and DSG tune (they really need it) are extremely expensive for the CR TDI's though. Thats a big turn off for a lot of people. The market is to niche to have inexpensive parts.