New to IDI. Power loss

Calilean

Reaction score
Hey everyone new to the IDI world, just bought my first 94 7.3 IDI turbo 5 speed manual completely stock 192k miles, my problem is at higher rpm the motor will bog and sound like it's misfiring, also I have no(lack) of turbo boost, I can hear the psshh between shifts but no power or spool, it's drinking gas like crazy, no black smoke, white smoke with blue tint on cold start ups will fire first try tho. Just replaced injector o rings yesterday hoping that was it.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to OBN.I was going to say,you must of tried going up hill and I was gunna say,that's perfectly normal.:D
Seriously though,no boost and poor fuel economy = leak.You'll need to find out where it is.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Calilean

Reaction score
I wish it was just uphill lol, did the spray bottle boost leak test and didn't see any kind of air bubbles, wouldn't injectors or IP cause the white smoke? I'm thinking maybe not enough fuel...

79GLIDE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Air intrusion with greater fuel demand, under load and at higher RPMS. Just a thought. Be cool, call it "fuel."

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...It can also be timing. To a great extent.
White smoke is almost always retarded timing.
Higher in the rev range(especially with any load on) means you are giving it some throttle pedal.
There is a light-load advance cam which gives you extra advance from idle to about 1/4 pedal(decreasing as you give it more pedal).

If the engine gets retarded enough, it will start missing.

On the other hand, a lack of fuel pressure will *cause* retarded timing, too. By a couple of degrees, due to the hydraulic elements inside the IP.

Calilean

Reaction score
...It can also be timing. To a great extent.
White smoke is almost always retarded timing.
Higher in the rev range(especially with any load on) means you are giving it some throttle pedal.
There is a light-load advance cam which gives you extra advance from idle to about 1/4 pedal(decreasing as you give it more pedal).

If the engine gets retarded enough, it will start missing.

On the other hand, a lack of fuel pressure will *cause* retarded timing, too. By a couple of degrees, due to the hydraulic elements inside the IP.
It does idle really ruff on start ups, I'll get white smoke on start ups or when I'm pushing past the 1/2 throttle while it's studdering, looks like I'll call around some shops and see who can time these motors

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The answer is almost nobody. The good news is that you can get it running pretty well just by ear and feel. You just advance it a bit at a time until it starts feeling like it's /losing/ power, then back it off a little.
It won't be perfect, but it'll be better than 90% of shops can do.

In your case, you are going to advance it a lot, perhaps 6 degrees or so. Probably as far as you can easily get the pump to be advanced will be a start.
Check youtube for videos; it's just a matter of loosening the 3 nuts(9/16 wrench) holding the IP in place, and rotating the entire pump.
Rotate the top of the pump towards the passenger side to advance it.

Calilean

Reaction score
Thank you a lot, this sh*t has me stressed:mad: I used to own a 99 powerstroke and it gave me no problems hopefully I can get this girl running right and love the IDI as well

Calilean

Reaction score
You guys are amazing turned the timing and runs like a dream now time for upgrades got gauges already on the way

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup... It's a pretty common issue - as the pump and injectors wear, the timing gets retarded.

It's pretty much to the point that *any* IDI that hasn't specifically had a newly rebuilt pump, good injectors and a known timing job... needs a timing job.

Powerstrokes and more modern engines don't really have any timing adjustments, so it's an easily overlooked thing.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I got my truck its timing was 2atdc! I advanced it to 8btdc

Calilean

Reaction score
Idk how to tell how much i advanced it in just a **** hair past the two marks from lining up

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll never know any numbers without a timing meter.
Every pump/injector combination is different; replace either of those and it will change your timing wildly, even if it's in the same "position".

Calilean

Reaction score
Makes sense, how's the common mpg on these trucks I think I have two 15 gallon tanks I filled up one tank yesterday drove about 120 miles before having to fill up again that sound about normal on one tank?

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Makes sense, how's the common mpg on these trucks I think I have two 15 gallon tanks I filled up one tank yesterday drove about 120 miles before having to fill up again that sound about normal on one tank?

It should do far better than just 8 mpg.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmustang1965

Members online