NEW RIG!!! 96 F350 DRW 460 auto

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i could not consciously sell it to someone out of state without a trailer.
maybe you will be ok,
but why chance it?

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I think one of the big differences in Kali's vehicle licensing vs what I know from living in Illinois and Indiana is:

In Kali, the license plate belongs to the VEHICLE, meaning if you have a vehicle from 1983, the license plate was issued to the VEHICLE in 1983, wither you are the original owner, or the 30th owner...

In ILL and IND, the plate belongs to the PERSON. For example, when I bought my Excursion, there was NO PLATE on the truck when I bought it. I received a "paper plate" like this:

You must be registered for see images attach

I then went to the BMV (Bureau of Motor Vehicles) did the title transfer, registered the vehicle to me with the state, and got a license plate for the truck. Now, if I sell the vehicle, or trade it in, I remove the plate, and send the vehicle off without a plate with the new owner. I can then take MY plate to the BMV and register it to the replacement vehicle.......

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think one of the big differences in Kali's vehicle licensing vs what I know from living in Illinois and Indiana is:

In Kali, the license plate belongs to the VEHICLE, meaning if you have a vehicle from 1983, the license plate was issued to the VEHICLE in 1983, wither you are the original owner, or the 30th owner...

In ILL and IND, the plate belongs to the PERSON. For example, when I bought my Excursion, there was NO PLATE on the truck when I bought it. I received a "paper plate" like this:

You must be registered for see images attach

I then went to the BMV (Bureau of Motor Vehicles) did the title transfer, registered the vehicle to me with the state, and got a license plate for the truck. Now, if I sell the vehicle, or trade it in, I remove the plate, and send the vehicle off without a plate with the new owner. I can then take MY plate to the BMV and register it to the replacement vehicle.......
you are 100% correct. you're just better in saying what I meant to say.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i could not consciously sell it to someone out of state without a trailer.
maybe you will be ok,
but why chance it?
"technically" the buyer has 10 days to get to DMV and get it transfered or a deposit of fees put down. Hence, the very wide set of options avail to LE on the matter. As long as all your documentation jives and you have proof of insurance, and most importantly you don't act like you have a chip on your shoulder when talking to LE, you will be allowed to continue on your merry way. Hell, if you time it right, it's only four hours to get to the nearest CA/NV border and you're in the clear as far as kali in concerned.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^ the last line = RUN FORREST haha runfortheborder!
transporting with all tires off the pavement , to anywhere your golden.

So who's buyin

pafixitman

Reaction score
In GA, they just put cardboard with "applied for" as a plate! In MD, I can get a 14 (I think) day transport tag for small money and move any unregistered / uninspected vehicle. I drove my truck with expired PA plates in GA for over a year. All that said, I would trailer it out of the state.

Brian - I understand your point that it is worth more to you as parts but damn.....

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In GA, they just put cardboard with "applied for" as a plate! In MD, I can get a 14 (I think) day transport tag for small money and move any unregistered / uninspected vehicle. I drove my truck with expired PA plates in GA for over a year. All that said, I would trailer it out of the state.

Brian - I understand your point that it is worth more to you as parts but damn.....
I have only ever seen the printed cardboard plate around Atlanta. In north GA where I am from, police gave us 30 days from the date on the bill of sale to get a tag so what many did (not me or anyone I knew of course;Really) would make up a new bill of sale every 30 days and just drive. Cars over 25 years old don't even need titles so a hand drawn bill of sale every 30 days was all you needed. You do have to carry proof of auto insurance with you, but it doesn't have to match the car if it has been in possession less than 30 days.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So who's buyin

he's not selling.he's gunna strip that 20 yr old cream puff.:eek:

attachment.php

who looks at a survivor like this and just sees parts? :(

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats why we're known as the land of fruits and nutz

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
its the land of opportunities!

we struggle all year, every year dealing with commiefornias BS laws and regulations.
but we do get awesome geography. and super clean vehicles.

let me first start off by saying,
i had every intention in buying this truck to drive it.

the bottom line is that i got this truck on the deal of the century.
with the cost of getting it back on the road being so high,
i must find other things to do with it.

i could sell it, and someone would be really happy with it.
but for the price it would cost me for the interior and the doors, what can i do?
i would feel like a shark taking someones money for a truck i paid pennys for.
i am not in the automotive hobby to make money.
i want to build the best trucks i can, with what i have.
i just get lucky sometimes.
dont think of it as destroying a 20 year truck.
think of it as getting two trucks back on the road, and one being a 30 year truck back up to lasting 30 more years!
and a diesel truck at that!

noone batted an eye when i cut up that 89 F350, the 88 F350, the 94 F250 , the 86 Bronco, or even the 02 SD thats super clean!
all of the sudden you got my head on the chopping block LOL

yes the truck is clean. but alot of people will benefit from it!

i have a friend thats coming over after work to check it out.
he is building a crew cab diesel that has major body damage.
and he's looking for another body.

is it still blasphemy if the entire truck gets used?
its not getting scrapped, its being utilized!
;Sweet

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:popcorn
nobody ever said jack back when we/I were cutting up split window vw's for baja's and spare tin....
now I wish I had a few to ebay.
the rig gets to live on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bsthomas21

Members online