New oil pan questions

A0405

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought a new oil pan, Pioneer brand, for my truck and it comes coated on both the outside and inside. My question is, should I strip the paint coating from the inside surfaces before installing since I do not know the durability of this coating and obviously do not want paint flakes getting sent through my engine?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would leave it. if its got a baffle you wont get it out anyhow.
chances are youll cause more damage than good.

why not send it back and get a pan without a coating?

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would sure remove any paint from the inside of the oil pan. If it flakes off, it can screw a lot of things up very quickly.

A0405

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It does not have a baffle in it, wide open. All suppliers that I looked at have the same black paint on all surfaces. Product description just says 'long lasting, durable coating'. I guess if I strip it it can't end up any worse than the one I pulled with all its pinholes

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
You have an oil filter and my guess is this coating wont flake off. On the other hand taking it off wont cause any issues either. Many engines have a paint on the inside surfaces. Chevy was famous for this. It causes the oil to shed easily and keeps the casting sand from getting into the oil. I don't think any casting sand is still dropping out of our engine blocks.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The coating will stay on for at least 50k miles. Just pulled one on a friends truck. All ok. Its an epoxy type by the looks of it.
Also used hundreds of the pioneer pans on 300 6cyls at EV, coating stayed on those as well.

A0405

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reassurance of the quality of their coating typ4, I feel much better hearing from someone with first-hand experience of the pioneer brand

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Staff online