New member, new truck

redneck8000

Reaction score
Just thought that I would post and check in with everyone. Just went and picked up my first Cummins truck today. It's a 92 W250, Getrag/205 with 3.54's. The body's a little rough on the ol girl but the engine purrs and there's a new clutch and fresh frontend rebuild. 250k one owner miles. The only mod is a slightly turned up pump. I'll try to get some pics up in the morning.

redneck8000

Reaction score
Thanks. Any tips on getting the slop out of the Getrag shifter? Detents seem OK, no noise, it doesnt pop out of gear, just really easy to miss a downshift and have to hunt for the gear. Theres about 10in of round and round play when its in gear.

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
That's excessive. You might want to pull the top off the 'Rag and see what's going on. My "Rag only has about an inch of play when I'm in gear. The bushings may be worn out, or you may have a more serious problem. When you remove the case top make sure you don't lose any parts.

On a positive note, if there is a problem you can rebuild the Getrag using common tools on a work bench. It's a great transmission so long as you don't try to speed shift it or lug it. If you have to rebuild it, make sure you refill it with a quality synthetic and overfill it by 1 quart, as not getting enough oil to the the input shaft bearings is the main killer.

redneck8000

Reaction score
I plan on putting the truck on the rack at work Monday. 10in might have been a bit excessive but it gets the idea across. Just went out and messed with it and there is a true 6-7in. I was told that the shifter had broken before, I'm sure down at the threads but I didn't ask. I already ordered a rebuild kit just for peace of mind. Kinda wonder if I don't need forks too.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
been my experience that manuals have shift fork bushing so that would be the first thing i would be checking.

redneck8000

Reaction score
I do appreciate the advice guys. Wish I didnt have to wait till in the morning before i can do anything.

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would check to see if the pins that line up the ball part of the shifter in the cover aren't missing or worn excessively. Might just be a simple deal that only involves removing the shifter boot and shifter.
Travis..

redneck8000

Reaction score
Thanks Travis. I'll check that out. I hate having a whole day and not being able to do anything because all my tools are at work. Also, aside from nuking the interior, anyone know how to get the chickenhouse smell out?

redneck8000

Reaction score
Ok. It wouldn't let me post any pics. Oh well. Most of the shifter slop seems to be side to side and inside the top plate. We were too busy today at work for me to do much. Did get some 285/75 16's mounted up. Made the truck look way better. Also snagged a power 40/20/40 seat out of an 04 from a customer for 50 bucks. Just need to get back to my dad's place and build brackets for it and build a flatbed.