New joiner

tc02

Reaction score
Howdy All.

Just joined here in order to continue my diesel education and perhaps be able to return the favor from time-to-time.

I have an 04 F250 6.0 that has been a learning experience and a good truck after finally getting the bullet-proof fixes that it needed from the time I bought it with 104Kmi. Thought I had bought a good truck because I checked Ford service records and found that it had head studs replaced at a Ford dealer ... so, thinking that must have fixed the common head gasket failures on 6.0L engines. Engine and drive train is stock. Drove it for about 11mo with no problems, but not doing any heavy towing. Started doing some heavy towing (GN flatbed, ~12Klbs total tow load) and soon encountered overheating and loss of power. Turns out the stretchy Ford studs had probably strained out and allowed coolant migration over the head surfaces. Had to bite the bullet and get the engine bullet-proofed with hard studs, oil cooler, EGR cooler, and ancillary fixes. After bullet-proofing the truck has been great for the past 3 years , excepting a failed alternator which destroyed batteries and eventually FICM.

So, live, learn, and enjoy the ride.

Currently scouting for a used diesel pickup for a buddy who's F250 (gas 5.4) transmission bit the dust. Looking for buyer or a trade of a 2000 F250, crew cab, 5.4L, 4x4, short bed in work truck condition excepting the transmission for which we have already invested in a salvage tranny that needs to be installed.
A Ford 6.0 would be fine but we're actually brand agnostic at this point and just need a good crew cab tow vehicle for a ~10Klbs hydro pump equipment trailer.

Anyhow, glad to be here and join in the conversations, education, and mutual help.

Cheers !

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Welcome.
We don't have a lot of 6.0 owners, but the few we do have are pretty knowledgeable on them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
93 Farm Truck