New Injectors

alexl

Reaction score
Hi there, I have a 1988 F250 with a 7.3 IDI, I feel like i may have a slight miss so i am considering replacing my injectors with new. It also is a bit tough to start after a few days so i am thinking air intrusion, likely in the returns. I have read that it is good practice to go ahead and replace the IP when replacing the injectors. I realize by replacing the injectors and not the IP, i could dramatically reduce the life of a tired IP. Other than having to replace the IP in the end anyway, what am i risking by doing the injectors first? This is just a work truck, it is difficult to justify the $250 for injectors, let alone another $400 for the IP right now. Unfortunately, i do not have information on the last time the injectors or pump were replaced. I would hate to replace an IP that only has 25k miles. Finally, what is regarded as the best place to get new injectors? I have found pensacola diesel and they seam to have good reviews in the community, any better options?

thanks,
Alex

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Please read the forum named...The Hall of Shame... It will tell you what companys to avoid for good reason. The best dealers are Russ aka typ4 on this site or Mel aka agnem on this site. Mel owns Conestoga Diesel in Pa. Russ is in Oregon. Then you have RDI. Justin does a good job on injectors too.
As for doing injectors first and ruining an old pump.. Maybe is the best I can say. But maybe not too. Please do not cheap out on return lines and make SURE your kit has the Viton o rings. They last way longer than any of the ebay cheap kits. Once again the mentioned sellers I have posted do a fine job with kits of the very best quality.

alexl

Reaction score
thanks for all of the great info! I will look into the vendors listed. This is why i always ask questions

alexl

Reaction score
called a local place that will pop test my injectors free. Their replacements are about $28 each (reman) but they will pop test the new ones to be sure that they are all within spec and closely matched. Does this seam reasonable? Still considering the vendors on the site but i do like working locally if possible as well. Since the shop is nice enough to test for free, i would feel a bit unethical purchasing replacements (if necessary) from someone else.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the local is reliable, best to do local when possible. No shipping costs back and forth for defective parts.

transmogrifiednow

Reaction score
Hope that works out for ya. I was having a slight miss, a weird shudder, a rough idle if you will, and I had my local shop test the fuel system, which they did up until the injectors, which they said they didn't have the equipment to test. Turns out I didn't have a local place that could even test diesel injectors. I found the Moose Mates from Connestoga Diesel Injenction and put those in myself, and the problem is gone. I did check for air intrusion, of course, which can cause some rough idle problems.

alexl

Reaction score
i think i will end up ordering a new set of stanadynes for not much more than rebuilt injectors from the local shop. This way i dont have to turn in my old cores either, i can keep them for future use. Are the return line kits between 6.9 and 7.3 the same? Is the "old style" and "new style" interchangeable? If so, what is the preferred style of return kit?

alexl

Reaction score
those are actually the ones i was looking at. However... I came across BWD injectors at advance auto. They have a 3 year warranty and are new injectors as well. Using 30% off online purchases, a set can be had for $200. Not really trying to pinch penny's but at the same time, i think it is a good deal. My experience with this sort of thing is there are only a few manufacturers of each part. My assumption is that the injectors sold under the BWD name are either Delphi's or stanadyne.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Didn't read all of your post. They are not built by either Delphi or stanadyne. They are in fact BWD.
The bodies & pintle area look entirely different compared to the Delphis & stanadynes.

alexl

Reaction score
Didn't read all of your post. They are not built by either Delphi or stanadyne. They are in fact BWD.
The bodies & pintle area look entirely different compared to the Delphis & stanadynes.

really? that truly is shocking. I am a Mechanical engineer by day and it is rare to find companies that think it is worth investing in tooling to make a part that already exists. Interesting.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought one a while back, thinking I was having an injector problem at the time. So I popped a BWD injector in and it leaked and ran like crap on that cylinder. Pulled it out and it was a leaker. Just my experience with em.