New guy here looking to get a 7.3 have a few questions and into

RedTruck

Reaction score
How many years did he get? Never know. He might want it back. :backoff

LOL

Sounds like a good movie plot....

LOL

Alex,

Welcome to the sight. Your project is hitting pretty close to home. I've got a '62 3/4 ton step side IH pickup I thought about doing the same thing with. I really like the looks of those old '60s IH pickups. I ended up keeping the Ford as is though. The 266 in the IH pickup runs really well.

As far as the rig your looking at...it's a tough call. If the IP is leaking from anywhere except a hose fitting, you'll probably need a rebuild. I think fellas here have found rebuilds for $300. I had one rebuilt for $450. $400 - $500 seems to be the going rate. Your blue smoke could be alot of things. It needs an oil change, fresh fuel, and a days worth of pulling a load to see if it'll come out of it.

If you're planning on using the drivetrain from the F350 on your IH, you're probably money ahead by picking up the F350. Around here that D60 front is going for $1700 fully dressed out and the rear would be around $500. I can't remember if the 90 is a king pin D60...if it is that's another bonus. Also, it's sometimes a little difficult to find a SRW D60 front.

With you doing the swap it'll be nice to have all the wiring and clutch assembly right there. Another bonus to having a complete pickup instead of piecing it together.

All in all you're looking at a lot of work to do your conversion. It's easy to get discouraged when you're doing a build like this. If you've never rebuild an engine like this before, you may want to keep looking for a rig that's less questionable. You could do your build in stages. Find a 2wd pickup with a 5 speed that's got a rough body then just install the engine and tranny...keeping the divorced setup on your pickup. Then once funding is back to where it should be, look for your drivetrain. IMHO you have more options at a cheaper rate running that divorced transfer case.

The other nice thing you have going for you now is scrap prices are really high. You'll probably get something worthwhile for the carcass when you haul it in.

Any way you go, good luck and keep us up to date on your project.

Paul

ford5.9

ford5.9
Reaction score
If the motor is junk, look at all the parts you could put on ebay or just in your local paper. IP-$150, Heads=$250, alternator $50. You could triple your initial investment. With just those 3 things you could make back almost half of the cost of the truck. I sold my ZF out of my truck for $750 (it had a bad bearing inside and I told buyer this up front). If you have to give $1500, you cant go wrong. Unless the husband is in jail for murder and he comes after you when he gets out.

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
Hey thx you guys well the husband has ok'd the selling the truck So im a free man :D after looking at a friends pickup and figuring rad mounting and a few other things i came to the conclusion that it would just be easer to put the cab and box on the ford frame plus suspension and steering parts will be a bit easer to get and i can keep the rear anti-lock. And if the engine situation continues I'll just threw in some new rings and get another 100k maybe while I'll save up for a full out rebuild! I have been around IH engines all to long its easy to get another 40 -80K out of them some duct tape and bubble gum LOL

edit> oh yea and it was a king pin front 60

Last edited:

ford5.9

ford5.9
Reaction score
That would be your easiest route to take. Plus you would have the nice driving characteristics of the Ford. I did the same thing to a 1981 Jeep CJ7. I pulled the body off and mounted it on a 1976 Chevy Blazer frame with a 350/turbo 350 combo......SWEEEEEEET!!!!!!

gsgIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Alex S,
Welcome to the site. I agree with ford5.9 about getting rid of extra stuff you don't need to get investment back on the truck. I am trying to decide to sell a 1983 C-20 Chevy original 6.2L with small pistons whole or part it out. The interior is junk, had a hard life bought it for my son he didn't want it. He joined the marines early enlistment delayed entry at 17 and after graduating from high school and a week before leaving for bootcamp bought a 99 Stang.

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
oh yea thats a tough call on what to do with it. could restore it and have a nice economical daily driver.

whats this small piston 6.2 stuff? I assumes all 6.2s had the same bore/stroke?

ford5.9

ford5.9
Reaction score
That is how I "financed" my Cummins conversion on my 94' Ford 4x4 Crew Cab. Ford5.9 (Ford Truck+Cummins 5.9 motor= Ford5.9). I actually came out ahead about $700 after I was done and still have spare parts coming out of my ears for my 92 and 93 4x4 CCs. GO FOR IT!!!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online