New clutch slipping.

notenuftime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a new luk SMF kit in the truck and had posted before about smelling tranny fluid thought it was weird almost smelled like it was getting to hot. The other day while in fifth gear going up a hill gave it gas and started to feel the clutch slipping RPM went up things started getting hot. Can't think of why this is happening with all new components, everything went easy when putting the clutch in couldn't see me installing wrong. Maybe transmission issue? Anyone got ideas don't want to smoke a new clutch sure can't afford another right now.

shawn deere

So many wrenches, so little time...
Reaction score
And you put a new flywheel on the crank with that kit, correct

shawn deere

Reaction score
Kk. My guess would be input shaft seal on the tranny is out.
Did you happen to check for input shaft play when u had the tranny out?
Or rotate the input shaft to see if it was bent?
Maybe theres a bearing out in the tranny
Something has got to be going on. I just did a smf conversion and i smell 0 atf or things getting hot.

shawn deere

Reaction score
With engine running clutch out in nutral puckup stopped can you hear something spinning - like a rough bearing
Hit the clutch and see if it slows down and goes away - that would be input shaft on tranny is out

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
So you put in a SMF kit. Did you put anything on the flywheel bolts to seal them? Did you establish a wear pattern (normal city stop-go driving for approx 500 miles)?

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only way you would be smelling hot atf would be if the front seal has gone out and it's in your clutch disk now I would think, it maybe not wet but it could just be seeping onto while spinning heating up and cooking to clutch/pressure and flywheel. It's takes a lot of stress to make the luk slip mine hasn't slipped yet under occaisnal almost 20psi boost

notenuftime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll look at the shifter boot. Didn't put sealant on bolts didn't see why there was no oil or anything coming from those holes.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The bolts that hold the flywheel to your crank should be sealed. The threads don't dead head. They go all the way through the crank and are in the oil bath of the engine. Oil certainly could get past these and onto your flywheel/disk/pressure plate.

Heath

Last edited:

notenuftime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bolts that hold the flywheel to you crank should be sealed. The threads don't dead head. They go all the way through the crank and are in the oil bath of the engine. Oil certainly could get past these and onto your flywheel/disk/pressure plate.

Heath
Think if I take the dust cover off and look I could see any oil on the fly wheel?.