new 5.9 dodge

BP6.9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey yall im 17 and i allready have an idi ford diesel and im finna get my first cummins dodge its a 92 club cab 4x4, any suggestions on wat to look out for?
im really wantin to see some decent power outa this truck because i pull alot of heavy loads, i just wanna know whats the safest limit i can push this trucks power to over my old ford and still drive it everyday and working on it is not a problem all i do is restore old trucks, and i allready know to fix the killer dowel pin thanks for the advice guys greatly appreciated to a young kid looking to make power with his first dodge

BP6.9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and thats good to know im pullin the timing cover anyways so ill let uk if it is in there

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
>>> KILLER DOWEL PIN <<<

The dowel-pin issue is WORSE on the 2nd Gen. engines, due to the much higher vibrations of the piston injector-pump.

The 1st Gen. is definitely NOT IMMUNE as it has the exact same dowel line-up pin.

There have been several accounts of 1st Gen.s dropping that pin and it going through the bottom of the timing case.

Usually, a trip to a good aluminum welding shop takes care of the damages.

Sometimes, the pin gets into the gears and then all :eek: breaks loose, costing thousands.

The dowel-pin is not the only culprit, as there are several bolts inside there that eventually back out and any one of them is just as deadly as that pin, and probably more likely to fall out.

The pin is a TIGHT drive-in fit and usually ain't going anywhere.

But, it is far more likely for one (or more) of those bolts to walk backwards out of it's hole and drop out.

I have read more accounts of people finding the bolts backed loose a 1/8-inch or so, than I have read that found the pin to have moved.

Of course, this situation is a one truck in a million scenario.

For every Cummins owner that frequents these forums, not only this site but all of them inclusive, there are probably another two-hundred who just drive the **** out of their trucks and never give a thought to looking up information on the web; so, nearly all of those guys have never even read/heard of the "KDP" (killer dowel pin).

If they were dropping out and breaking off gear-teeth and knocking holes in the timing-case right and left, even little old ladies that drive big old Cadillacs would know to avoid those junk Cummins engines.

Of course, you or me could have that one-in-a-million engine that did drop a bolt; it is just luck of the draw; sort of like putting one cartridge in a nine-shot High Standard, closing your eyes, giving the cylinder a flip, and then pointing it towards your favorite ****-dog and squeezing the trigger. ;Really

marblecrusher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to know, Im familiar with the VP truck and after a quick search i thought the 1st gens didnt have that issue.

-Jordan-

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
not tryin to thread jack or nothin but what did first genes come out with stock.wasnt 200 was it.power wise.and they had turbos right.the reason i ask is a freind was aguin that he knew more about diesels.and that first genes didnt have turbos.also the towing packages.did bigger towing packs come with more power.thanks.not tryin to thread jack

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
thank you.ya this kid was sayin i was wrong im like nope.you are.this is alittle off topic but he thinks you can get a new diesel without a turbo speical order.

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
i know!!!he is freakin stuiped and he calls me stuiped.i mean searsoly.any way not tryinn to thread jack and hope the truck works out great for you