Need opinions on clutch

Fordfan90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a little 1990 7.3 idi 4x4. I put it on the lift today to inspect the bottom of the truck and already new it needs a new clutch but I found out that the carrier bearing is shot and about ready to seize up. Any body know what type of clutch I should get for it?

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Search button///idi tech section
Single mass flywheel
Dual mass flywheels
Best I got for ya.

Fordfan90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Search button///idi tech section
Single mass flywheel
Dual mass flywheels
Best I got for ya.

Do you know if the trans is suppose to have atf or 80-90 gear oil in it?? My 1999 suprduty zf5 has atf. I was under the impression they where only suppose to have atf?

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should be atf, people go many ways on clutches depends on what you want to do with the truck. I went with the smf and 12.25 inch clutch from Luk. Performs well and does what I need also a lot cheaper to replace than the old dual mass set up that was on my truck before that flywheel broke cost like 3 times the smf setup and doesn't perform as well in my opinion just a little noisier sorta

notenuftime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just bought a LUK SMF kit. Feel pretty good about it. It's all the clutch I will ever need.

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should be atf, people go many ways on clutches depends on what you want to do with the truck. I went with the smf and 12.25 inch clutch from Luk. Performs well and does what I need also a lot cheaper to replace than the old dual mass set up that was on my truck before that flywheel broke cost like 3 times the smf setup and doesn't perform as well in my opinion just a little noisier sorta
Just bought a LUK SMF kit. Feel pretty good about it. It's all the clutch I will ever need.

You guys have a part number for that kit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought mine from Carolina clutch, I called them about it and to ensure it included everything I need I will look up the one I bought and get a part number

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
This Is the clutch I got from Carolina clutch it comes with the flywheel and everything. Throw out bearing and pilot bearing and hardware necessary to install. It was not a hard instal at all for a clutch job, also was my first clutch I've ever done. Transmissions are heavy! And so are the flywheels lol but I did notice the solid flywheel was lighter than the dual mass if I remember right

shawn deere

So many wrenches, so little time...
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
This Is the clutch I got from Carolina clutch it comes with the flywheel and everything. Throw out bearing and pilot bearing and hardware necessary to install. It was not a hard instal at all for a clutch job, also was my first clutch I've ever done. Transmissions are heavy! And so are the flywheels lol but I did notice the solid flywheel was lighter than the dual mass if I remember right
X2 for me
I went with a south bend clutch tho. But i plan on hauling heavy

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
For quick and cheap, Autozone has a SMF kit complete for both N/A and turbo balanced engines. My N/A version has held up way better than I thought. Pulling 4+ tons of camper and dump trailers overloaded with gravel AND getting knocked into a ditch and killing the engine in 4th gear. Assembly inside the hub rattled and was noisy after that, but when I replaced it last month or so the dampening springs still looked new, hub hadn't seperated and disc had plenty of material left.

The cream of the crop to my understanding is the 13" South Bend kit (one day...I'll just drool thinking about it until then).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online