Mystery Ford rattle

Reaction score
We have a 96 F250 that has had a rattle underneath for years. I have searched and searched for it with no luck. I thought it was specific to that truck. Then I picked up an 88 F250 with the same damn rattle. A buddy and I drove around for a day with our heads hanging out the window trying to identify it. Then, a couple of days ago I heard the same rattle under a mid-90’s F350 as it drove past us in town. Has anyone else had this issue? Have you have any luck locating it? This is driving me crazy and now I have to deal with it on two trucks.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
check the upper fender bolts by the hood hinge found on there before
also found some old wore out shock bushings on the bottom

Halfpint

Reaction score
I Have 2 97's and a 87. Both 97 make a nasty creak in the front end which was killed by tightening up the top rear fender bolts. Another rattle both have is from the large plastic wheel center caps. I recon this only applies if you have the factory alloys with the holes and the big chrome center caps. Another place Ive found is the eye mounts on the shocks. The bolts are sloppy thru the bushings. If the bolt is not cranked down to squeeze together the mounts to the shock it makes a bad clunk when hitting bumps. That's about all Ive found in my trucks so far.