mr gasket 12D pump

Charlie B

Reaction score
well with the possibility that i may have to switch out my lift pump (still diagnosing), i will be deciding to delete the mechanical fuel pump and going with an electrical pump.(since it should've been done from factory) Ive been reading and it seems that everyone has been using the duralift or a carrier. But i came across the mr gasket one at the auto parts store. was just curious if anyone ever used this pump and if it is any good. on a side note, I've already bought a big block chevy fuel pump cover, as i am beginning to collect parts to do the conversion. since I am making a list, does anyone have any suggestions on what all i will need to complete this? Thanks!

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good morning and welcome to OB. I've seen folks use that pump in gassers and IDI applications, they reportedly work but don't last very long. If you are going to go through the hassle of converting to electric, spend the money and get a Facet/Carrier, lots of info on here on how to do it.

Good luck

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah.poor longevity results.i tried one and it didn't last.duralift is the way to go.that's a cool dually! there's something about a reg cab dually that just looks so right.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used on and was not satisfied with it. Now it resides in my 6x6 amphibious ATV AKA argo type vehicle pumping fuel to the 2 cyl 670 cc Kubota diesel. For that application it works wonderful.

Mel aka @Agnem said it best....something.... like a carrier or holley red..elephant's heart...slow n steady or a mouse....quick and rapid...which one lives longer.

I cannot recall exactly what he said but that is the jist of it.

JM7.3CW Eh!

Btw in tech articles is my pump install IIRC.

rotarydragon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Used it, spent the extra money on the facet/duralift and was much, much happier.

baja-Dean

Reaction score
I use one on a 86 and a 90 and no problems. Because how inexpensive it is I do carry a spare when driving long distances because of the various complaints I have read. ya 1000 miles from autozone to autozone when I drive the baja.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually replaced my Facet/Duralift with one on the F250. That Duralift wasn't right from day one. Couldn't keep fuel pressure up at all. Basically 0 psi when I had my foot on the throttle. It's been on there for a year or so. Doing better than the Facet. It's no hero, but at least I have fuel pressure. Typically see 3-4 psi minimum. About the same as the Holley Red that was on the truck before the Facet.

The Facet on my crew cab has been great though. Not so great on the F250.

Heath

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Well you could, but why?
People do it with the 7.3 powerstroke when running bigger injectors using two stock pumps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What if someone ran dual mr gasket pumps? Is that something that could be done?

then you would have 2 junk pumps and out twice the money lol.remember,everything,even high quality products have failure rates.beru glow plugs.bilstein shocks.holley carbs.duralift fuel pumps.etc.etc.etc.it's all about the % of those failure rates.take for example the duralift.search here to see how many happy people there are with them,lasting for many years,issue free.then search and find how many have had issues.you'll be lucky to dig up 1%? probably closer .5% here for those with issues.so what's that tell ya? it tells you,the odds are high of getting a great return on your money.just like picking a stock.
Heath knew better and still picked a "stock" which will most likely not give him a good return for his $. some people just like to suffer.what can i tell ya.:p

haha.im just ribbing ya a bit Heath.merry Christmas brother.:santa:

iirc,i got like 20k miles/1 year out of one.that included removing the tiny pre-filter on it that would most likely lead to plugging and even earlier failure.keep your $.buy what is known to work and last for the masses.

Last edited:

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Yes I know this is an old thread but I thought this was worth adding.

I've had my idi since Feb 2017 and it came with a 12D type pump of unknown age. I don't know if it's a Mr Gasket or a knockoff, but it has yet to let me down in almost two years and almost 13k miles.

It has the included mini metal filter attached plus a cheap, small engine style clear plastic fuel filter, which catches debris nicely without clogging. Maybe that's the key to longevity, the extra prefilter.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88