More Ponies for the IDI

Dale_Lakin

Reaction score
Ok so outside of the obvious adding a turbo what else can be done to IDI's to gain more ponies? I know little to nothing on IDI's so any input would be appreciated.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Dale_Lakin said:
Ok so outside of the obvious adding a turbo what else can be done to IDI's to gain more ponies? I know little to nothing on IDI's so any input would be appreciated.

lets see,if you just want more power and have a turbo then here goes

first off,Pyrometer and boost gauge.......You will distroy an engine without them

second,ditch the muffler and (optional but helps) build a better air filter setup

Third,shorten the waste gate rod(if so equipped) to get the turbo up to 12PSI boost

Fourth,bottom out the fuel screw and back off a quarter turn(if you leave it bottomed,you break the pump shaft!Hydrolocks)

Now if you want more than the standard power

Do the above and add Propane and Water/methanol injection(Windshield washer fluid!Yea,it's flamable!)

If you are creative with a welder and saw

Intercooler

Then the expensive stuff.....Really Really expensive stuff

Lower the compression,dump the waste gate and boost the hell outta that puppy,Get a Kenny Special injection pump and dump more oil down that beast throat than a Texas oil well,Fire ring the block and give it a mega shot of NOS,Stud the heads,port polish every air passage,clean up the precups,and a really strong built tranny.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dale_Lakin said:
Hey! Thanks for dropping by the basement! :D Outside of a turbo, an intercooler, pyro, propane, headstuds, and water injection are the outside add ons. I'm pretty happy so far with my ATS intercooler kit but I do realize there can be room for improvement. Since you are a ford parts dealer, a 6.0 intercooler kit can be a really good idea for a fab shop start. If you are looking to commision a guy to do the R&D, I have just the guy you would want to talk to. He does all my black ops welding for me. Most of the guys in the IDI group have no idea how much HP they are "throwing away" due to no intercooler. Problem is, there is no real viable kit to put one in. Even the early powerchoke guys would be interested in one too but the tube dia's would need to be increased for the larger displacement turbos. That way you won't be putting all your R&D efforts in a dwindling market. But keep in mind, if it works....we'll spend our hard earned money. :D

Dale_Lakin

Reaction score
Towcat if your serious about developing a bolt-on CAC kit for the IDI and PSD you have peaked my interest. Tell me more as to what you would need outside of a CAC and we will see what we can work out??

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dale, thanks for the question. It's an extremely common one, so it inspired me to write it up in our FAQ under Performance FAQ's.