Might add a Powerstroke to the fleet!

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
This is my first time on this part of the OB. We still need a 4x4 vehicle for winter so the wife can get out of the driveway and we both HATE the Hyundai. Ideally, I've been looking for another IDI powered truck in a SCLB 4x4 configuration that I could later put Bruiser's cab on. I did find a few promising leads (2 trucks, not far away from us or each other, N/A IDI's, 4x4, SCLB, both duallies), HOWEVER...this morning I found a 2001 4x4 Excursion Limited with a Powerstroke within our price range and in our town. It's backed by an auto trans (which I hate, therfore I don't own any, but the wife will be the one driving it). The listing states that it starts and runs perfect and has 119K miles on it.

I've been reading up on what to look for here and there, but...

My questions are obviously, "What should I look for/at specifically?"

Where is the GEM module located and how do you guys tell if it's been messed with?

What are the other things I should look at for tampering?

What are the common high rust risk areas on these? (I've only ever dealt with pre-97 and never intended to get anything newer).

Should the Powerstrokes also have SCA charged coolant like the IDI's?

What kind of mileage should I suspect out of this thing?

Any other major areas of concern?

First thing I'll go for is driveline and u-joints, rust, checking/smelling fluids, looking for leaks, the normal sort of things, as well as attempting to check turbo shay play. And of course a test drive.

This thing won't get beefed up or anything, it'll just be my wife's new daily driver and if all goes well, would get sold in a few years (if I get Bruiser back up to ***** and reliable). We also want it to take the place of the Hyundai Accent so we can sell that thing ASAP (great mileage, terrible everything else).

All info and any pictures are appreciated!

Last edited:

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Can't help as much on the 7.3/4R100 what to look for...... but the body I can....

I believe the GEM module is behind the fuse box, under the kick panel, below the steering wheel.... That's about all I know on those, my 03 i after the GEM module.

I not' sure there is any common rust areas on the Excursion. I have a couple of spots... but these are from scratches. Other than those, mine is solid, and it does get driven in the salt an much... so it's not a garage queen.

The only real "thing's" I've had with the body/interior is little annoying electrical issues. They can be fixed, and most fairly easily.... but they could be used as a negotiation point. The overhead console (if equipped), has a habit of going dim, then just quitting all together. There are 4 resistors that come loose, and can be soldered back. I've had to do this with mine. The backup sensors can also have issues. Mine has stopped working, but I haven't troubleshot it yet to see what is going on....

Also, make sure all the seats are there. All Excursions came with 3 rows of seats. The driver and front passenger, with a center console, the middle seat in line with the rear doors (could be a 70/30 bench, or 2 captains seats like the front), and a folding bench above the rear axle. Excursions are "legally" seat 7, with the middle bench. There are only 7 seat belts. 2 in the front, 2 shoulder belts on the outside seats in the middle seat and a lap belt in the middle, 2 shoulder belts for the 3rd seat. You can seat more (I've had 9 in mine), but it doesn't have enough seat belts. The spare tire is stored inside the drivers rear, against the wall with a carpeted cover. The tire tools and jack handles store in a zippered pouch on the spare tire cover. The jack is in a compartment on the passenger rear, inside, and is also the air intake for the rear HVAC.

Depending on the package, will depend on the amenities. In 01, I think there were 3 packages, XL, XLT and Limited. The XL is your "work truck" type trim. Cloth seats, basic radio, manual HVAC... The XLT, a bit nicer... the Limited should be leather, power seats. Power windows and door locks. 6 disk CD in-dash, automatic HVAC..... The Eddie Bauer didn't come along until 03, but if you look at mine in my signature at how they can be equipped.

If you get it.... you will love it. We've had ours for almost 10 years, and have no plans on getting rid of it. It is by far the best family vehicle I've ever had.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I'd take one in a heartbeat.
Yes on the sca coolant.
The 4r100 is eons ahead of the c6. Even the e40d which it's based off of.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Wow, I didn't expect to hear such positive things. My first thought was the cost of injectors/cups/removal tool (almost 5 times more than IDI sticks). I just know I won't have much any time to fix anything like that. I just got called back to the plant (which would make this addition possible), but will still be in 2nd shifts (more like 12hrs instead of 8).

I did read some mention here of "mechanical diodes" in the 4R100 and some problems with those? Did anyone ever find a definite date for when Ford stopped using those?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I believe trackspeeder knows. I think he posted about it a few months ago.
But I do not remember the info.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I think I remember reading the mechanical diode was a 99 thing.... I may be wrong.

Also, on injectors. I've read more times than I can count, "PSD Injectors are so much more than IDI injectors, I don't know if I want a PSD becasue of this"... Yes, they are more expensive, but there is not the 100,000 miles and they have to be replaced. My 03 (which is a 6.0) has never had an injector replaced. I have 166,000 miles, and haven't replaced and injector or glow plug...... If you keep the maintenance up on the HEUI injectors, they last MUCH longer than an IDI pump/injectors..... Plus, if a PSD injector fails, you replace just that one injector.

The other thing that most don't look at either..... A GOOD pump and injectors (From Mel, Russ or R&D) is ~$1,200 - $1,300 every 100,000 miles. PSD injectors are ~$200+ each, if/when you need one. So in reality, there isn't much difference in that maintenance cost..... no one looks at it that way..... Everyone told Travis that when he bout his P-Pumped Cummins back in the day..... that injection is so much more expensive than an IDI pump.... and he agreed, but made the comment if I don't have to replace it, what does it matter. He had that truck for several years, and 100,000+ miles, and the only time he touch the pump was to turn it up...... they P-Pumps last many times longer than a DB-x type pump do.......

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I disagree with Scott, there are HUGE maintenance differences.
but like the IDI, Motorcraft replacement parts should be used.
I will throw my complete .02 in here.
but be forewarned, im in a battle of life with my truck, currently.

glow plugs are a tad bit more expensive, not a big deal.
but sensors that are known for dropping the kids off at the pool are 200+ a pop.
IPR and CPS mainly.
then you have the valve cover gaskets, and wiring harnesses for the injectors and the plugs.
from ford, they are 100 bucks each. so to change your valve cover gaskets from ford youre looking at 400$ without the pigtails.
I have had zero luck with dorman valve cover gaskets and harnesses.
some people have never had an issue, but ive had nothing but.

Riff Raff sells motorcraft gaskets for 1/2 price.

up pipes, are pretty cheap for these trucks, and available +1 over the IDI.

I am hesitant to put any kind of chip or tuner on my truck, I don't care about making gobs of power I just want this damn thing reliable.

in order to know whats going on with your truck, you need a scanner. the truck damn near tells you whats wrong.
I wont work on a powerstroke without it.

I love this truck, but shes female, and you know how that goes.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Scanners are cheap now. I have an Autoenginuity package that goes with your Windows computer (laptop is better). Just make sure the scanner you get can read CAN protocol. Most can these days.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Good info there and good point on the IP vs injectors. I do need a new IP on the IDI (planning on a stock n/a cal). I did know about the valve cover gaskets, but also that they are supposedly reusable (until they start to leak).

Anyone have any word on how to tell if the GEM has been tampered with or any other important under dash stuff?

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
The Mechanical Diode (fancy name for a one way clutch) is an early 01 diesel one thing. Production of this ended in March 01. Funny thing about this now obsolete part is that it last 50 miles or 150k miles. Ford did have a TSB about the loss of second gear for this tranny with the fix by back dating the one way clutch.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Listing has been flashed and removed before I could even think of going to look at it. Oh well, thanks for all the info though guys!