MHI te06h-22c mods?

kuskoal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So being stuck in Japan, I've had a crapton of time to research and "nuke"(navy term for overthink) my truck down to the very last detail.

So I've concluded the MHI Turbo on the Banks Sidewinder kits is the TE06H-22C turbo. These things rock! My personal stock 6.9 was killing it at 25 psi and cleaned up a maxed out stock pump. Talk about blowing hot air! Only mod was head studs. Yep a rebuild is in order.

So does anyone have any specs or taken one apart? I need specs like shaft diameter, housing size, exact specs of both wheels' inducer/exducer, etc (I know the 4 banger tuner guys would appreciate it too!).

This te06h actually a sought after turbo, its one the larger shafts turbos and ready to take mods... just no one cares about this one, a perfectly fine core that needs some love!

Anyway, for the te06h turbos there is an 850cfm(up from 650 cfm) 25g billet wheel and a 16cm^2 housing to boost higher in the rpm range (did I mention mine was boosting 25 psi at 2000 rpm for some reason? My 6.9 was probably hurting)

Anyone willing to help me compile some real data so I can ask my super busy brother to yank my turbo off and send it away to a turbo shop?

kuskoal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BAM! Look at that! Now I wonder if the 25g wheel will fit the 1mm bigger shafts of the te06h... good info and I like your avatar. Watching Futurama right now!

I've been googling for weeks and turning up garbage. What were your search words?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have found a bigger comp wheel for the banks turbo. The hot wheel is the hard part. I do rebuild others and this one when parts pop up.
Also if it is a banks turbo. NOTHING from looking up the number on the turbo is what it says it is. BTDT.

kuskoal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whatcha mean it's different?! Surprise surprise.

Do you have all the measurements and stuff from taking a couple apart? Compressor sizing, shaft sizing, etc.

The te06h is a td07 10mm shaft with a td06 12 blade turbine and housing and a 22c compressor or at least should be. No idea if the te06h and the td07 use the same housing.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still not sure how you got all the boost out of it. My wastegated TE06H would do about 12-15 with a stock IP; I got a 110CC pump, managed to push 22-23 PSI out of it at like 2700... and bent an exhaust pushrod(twice!) due to the backpressure(holding the valve open enough for the lifter to pump up, the piston then smacks it bending the pushrod - added upgraded valve springs fixed that). Calculating the CFM/boost pressure, it sure looked like it was /well/ out of it's efficiency range and I'm kind of surprised it never exploded...

I upgraded to a Borg Warner S360 with a .83 exhaust housing. Really large, lazy turbo that made about 12 PSI of boost... but felt like it added more oxygen per PSI(due to lower temps I guess).
I got a .63 exhaust housing for that turbo, installed it.... Man, that thing spooled! I hit 30 PSI with that /easily/, and that cleaned up my 110 pump.

kuskoal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does being at sea level help any with the boosting? Probably not so much. In San Diego that thing was a rocket! Up in Reno where i left it it was lazier than a retired football player.

I agree i was way out of the efficiency range, but i already got the turbo and i see GReddy and Kinugawa make te06h-25g hybrids, so maybe I'll have to do some figuring and pull mine apart in a couple months!

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does being at sea level help any with the boosting? Probably not so much. In San Diego that thing was a rocket! Up in Reno where i left it it was lazier than a retired football player.
Good point. I'm at around 2K elevation.
I agree i was way out of the efficiency range, but i already got the turbo and i see GReddy and Kinugawa make te06h-25g hybrids, so maybe I'll have to do some figuring and pull mine apart in a couple months!
If you can get it to give you the air flow out of the compressor, you can just use the wastegate to regulate the backpressure, I think.
The problem is getting that air flow without it creating a ton of heat in the process

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score

Elevation will play a huge role in boost/efficiency.
Especially in mechanical diesels. The newer trucks (Like my 94 psd) have barometric pressure sensors that will try to compensate.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

kuskoal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would 2 psi really make that much a difference? 4000 ft elevation is 12.7 psi, just about where reno is. I know in the sierra nevadas that thing was trying to blow itself up how high i was spinning it! Fun times.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
That's 2 psi barometric.
That could be a loss of 4 psi boost.
But it's not just about the numbers.
Air is thinner.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members