Manual > Automatic MPG's

FordGuy100

Reaction score
My first 400 mile/half tank! Driving 75-80 with AC....

You must be registered for see images attach

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just wondering, are you truly at a half tank? Based on my gauge and fuel-ups, when my gauge is at 1/2, I would say that my fuel level's really closer to 1/3 (I usually get to 1/2 at about 400 miles, but I'm at 1/4 by 500 miles or so)...I'm sure that each individual car's a bit different in this regard, though...

In any event, congrats ;Sweet

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Yes, the second half definatly goes faster. I just wanted to reach that milestone LOL

My last trip down to Houston and back netted me 45.1mpg. 75mph + AC. Half tank was at 390 miles so this one seems a little higher.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Yes its on the manual. I am going to start looking into a deaper 5th gear. I think .681 vs the .7xx factory overdrive.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What did you get on auto, sorry if its been mentioned?

Too bad the autos dont do as well, I was hoping to get a car that she could drive. Tried teaching her on the T19 but she won't practice enough with it OFF before wanting to hit the roads, then either drop the clutch or take too long dragging it and roll back on a 1/3 degree incline lol.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
The best the automatic has gotten was 49.6mpg. Usually its high 30's/low 40's.

Summer time (full AC use), purely city driving its mid 30's.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Headed down to Houston again. Last trip netted me 44.5mpg

569 miles, 12.75 gallons

I also taught myself how to vent the tank! You hold the little dohicky on the left hand side of the filler tube and it vents the air out. They say dont do it unless you plan a road trip as fuel will be at the very top of the tank and can slosh out I guess. I put in an extra two gallons this way!

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
Headed down to Houston again. Last trip netted me 44.5mpg

569 miles, 12.75 gallons

I also taught myself how to vent the tank! You hold the little dohicky on the left hand side of the filler tube and it vents the air out. They say dont do it unless you plan a road trip as fuel will be at the very top of the tank and can slosh out I guess. I put in an extra two gallons this way!

There's a great mod writeup HERE!

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Mary just told me she got 41.7mpg with her car at 80mph cruise with max AC. Pretty darn good if you ask me!

Result of venting:

And yes this is legit

You must be registered for see images attach

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Three words Justin:

Automatics eat horsepower

That's not always the case.
I've been trying to read up on vw TDI's. With the DSG 6 speed auto, it's actually a geared trans just like a manual, same clutch and flywheel between the two, but it's electronically shifted. Pretty sweet.

Anyways that's how I understood it, maybe someone else can explain it better or correct my info.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
That's exactly what it is. A computer controlled manual. But, just like using cruise control bs not, you will still achieve better with a tru manual.

Plus the dsg requires an expensive 40k mile service, and has a stupid dual mass flywheel.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's exactly what it is. A computer controlled manual. But, just like using cruise control bs not, you will still achieve better with a tru manual.

Plus the dsg requires an expensive 40k mile service, and has a stupid dual mass flywheel.
What he said, and there's one other thing...the clutch assemblies in the DSG's are oil-lubricated, and as I understand it, that oil's pretty viscous and seriously kills fuel mileage...IIRC almost as bad as a traditional slushbox. The last I checked (a couple of years ago), they were working on a dry-clutch setup that'll eliminate that problem and make it a "true" automatically-shifted manual transmission, but they hadn't gotten it ready for the real world yet.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
That sounds pretty crazy, but these days.......... LOL

The one I test drove had the dsg, and it was reading 42 MPG.
Which the car lot was in the middle of town.

I'll just have to read some more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bsthomas21

Members online