major engine noise, currently broken down

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hers what I see in your pics.. Nice score...:thumbsup: I also see a horrible place to attach the ground cable to an exhaust manifold. That can kill a battery from heat traveling down the cable and overheat the battery. Might see a exhaust manifold bolt missing too but otherwise it sounds like a nice engine. Check the oil pan for a gasket. If you find Dealers installed a rubber or cork gasket remove it and use only rtv like the factory did. Resealing the oil cooler will never be easier that when the engine is out of any truck. Its just great insurance.

I'll check in the stuff you mentioned. Ill need to look for a write up on resealing the oil cooler, I have never done that before. The ground was done so we could crank the engine over with the starter while I was looking at it.

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey guys, bumping this back up. I finally started working on the truck. I was going to upload a pic but something is going on with photobucket and I am not able to log in to upload anything. Anyway, I have pulled the lights/grill/ac condenser/radiator out of the truck. Now how does the radiator support come out? I have pulled several bolts behind where the headlights would be and that did not seem to help much. Is there a tutorial here on pulling the support?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Core support is fastened to the fenders via fasteners inside the corner brackets and a couple fasteners through the front face into the fender. Also at least 1 bolt on each side for the air dam goes through the support into the fender. Then of course the two bolts through the frame.

Here are some pictures to help. Not sure now what year yours is. They vary slightly.

You must be registered for see images attach

Sorry I dont have better pics.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
Leave the fenders attached to the core. Much easier. Pull hood then pull entire front clip. Less trying to realign everything in the end

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally got a little bit of time to mess with this thing again. I got some of the wiring pulled off of the engine, and I attempted to take the fan clutch off...that did not work out very well. I have the pneumatic clutch fan tool set...it has been great up until this point but I could not get the thing to budge. I also rented the big wrenches that Advanced Auto "rents". They did not work either, they seemed to be holding well, but I was starting to round off the clutch fan nut, so I decided to so something different...

Any idea on how to get the fan clutch off of the water pump now? I still need the water pump pulley for my swap. Also for anyone wondering I am trying to turn the fan clutch clock wise when facing the engine.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use a big air hammer with a chisel. you can put the chisel edge on the outside of the nut and it will spin it off.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just read through this whole thread is this what happens if I ignore the occasional tick my engine has?? Makes me want to take my valve covers off and inspect sometime now

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
If all you're doing is trying to save the pulley, don't care about the water pump or fan clutch, heat the nut with a torch.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use a big air hammer with a chisel. you can put the chisel edge on the outside of the nut and it will spin it off.

I will check to see if my air hammer came with a chisel bit, I bought it specifically to use the clutch fan tool I have. I am not sure if the chisel would do anything more than what the pneumatic wrenches do. But I will give it a shot. Thanks for the suggestion.

I just read through this whole thread is this what happens if I ignore the occasional tick my engine has?? Makes me want to take my valve covers off and inspect sometime now

I would look into that. Though I would not describe my engine noise as a ticking noise. It was a very audible popping noise coming through the intake.

If all you're doing is trying to save the pulley, don't care about the water pump or fan clutch, heat the nut with a torch.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

yeah, I was thinking of using a combination of cutting tools (I don't have a cutting torch), and my 4lb mini sledge if I cannot get the fan clutch off.

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally was able to get the fan clutch loose. I used my pneumatic fan clutch wrench with my air hammer and I used the big fork that comes with the loaner tool kit. I used vice grips to hold the fork holding tool to the water pump pulley, then I jammed it on the ground. Then I heated the nut with map gas and then hit it with the wrench and it finally came loose. More updates coming soon.