major engine noise, currently broken down

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Over the last few weeks my 94 auto factory turbo truck has developed a rhythmic knock...I can really hear it resonate though my intake (cowl induction). Well this morning it went from wondering if something is wrong to what in the world is wrong! I have had a problem for a few years when the truck was hot it seemed like the torque converter would lock and then unlock while driving, while cruising the rpm would go up 200-500 while holding the pedal steady then come back down, and then a minute later it would do it again. I started a thread about this so I will try to dig it up incase it is relevant. So this morning while driving I noticed that the knocking noise was getting louder so I pulled over. It was bad enough that I thought I needed to turn around to try to make it home...I did not get that far before I pulled over and shut it down because it was getting worse. The converter kept locking and unlocking to the point where it really seemed to have trouble putting power to the ground, it was doing it's thing constantly rather than every once in a while, and I started getting a buzzing/clicking noise too. I checked my oil and coolant and both levels were fine. Can you all please give me your advice so I can figure out what is wrong with this thing. Please let me know what other information you need. The truck has 185k, auto 4x4.

Here is a video of when I first pulled over this morning and decided to turn around.

http://vid176.photobucket.com/albums/w169/cardana24/IMG_2146_zpstfrt7gza.mp4

And here is the video about 5 minutes later when I decided not to drive any further. The engine I really shaking at this point and the truck really does not want to be driven.

http://vid176.photobucket.com/albums/w169/cardana24/IMG_2147_zpsifngiyr2.mp4

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That sure sounds like a broken valve spring, or something wrong with the valve train. I would say it's not transmission related at all. Have you ever checked the valve train?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DO NOT RUN IT...if no damage so far...SEVERE ENGINE DAMAGE MAY OCCUR IF YOU DO RUN IT ANY MORE!!!!!

Intake valve.....sounds like you are pulling heads....do NOT run it tow it...if you have not bent a rod you could if u run it.

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sure sounds like a broken valve spring, or something wrong with the valve train. I would say it's not transmission related at all. Have you ever checked the valve train?

Would a broken valve spring be something that gets gradually worse? Like I said before the noise you hear in the first video started very faintly about a month ago...but it obviously went to hell today.

DO NOT RUN IT...if no damage so far...SEVERE ENGINE DAMAGE MAY OCCUR IF YOU DO RUN IT ANY MORE!!!!!

Intake valve.....sounds like you are pulling heads....do NOT run it tow it...if you have not bent a rod you could if u run it.

Are you thinking I may have broke an intake valve?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you thinking I may have broke an intake valve?

As an after thought, that could very well be, maybe just a small piece at first, if it didn't get out, it could be breaking it up worse, hammering the piston, click click click, sound right?
Storms here again, intermittent sattelite internet.

Edit: read riot's post, sure agree on that.

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pulled it home on my car trailer...need to figure out what to do with it now.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Valve covers are to be removed and look for an intake valve issue. I'm thinking its a spring but we wont know till you open it up. Please do the easy side first. Thats the drivers side valve cover. The passenger side is much tighter for working space.

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll pull the valve covers this weekend and report back. Thanks.

Results are in. The left/driver side looked fine

so I pulled the right/passenger side, that was way more of a pain to get off!! The second cylinder on this side had a bad day.

I was able to remove the rocker arm bolt by hand, the the top piece that holds the valve down was laying next to it, and I found one of the keepers...not sure where the other one is. What do you all think? Am I SOL? How much is probably messed up?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Maybe, maybe not. See if the valve feels fine. Other keeper could've dropped to the pan.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't even see a valve stem in there. If it's not, the outlook is grim.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well its a good find. You know what and where the noise came from. Now pulling the head is the best way to determine if the engine is saveable or not. You will have piston damage this is a clear thing. How much is another thing. If the top of the piston has been hammered by the vlve head you are now pulling the engine to remove that piston. The problem with just sticking another head on this engne is not knowing if the valve hammering the piston has crushed the piston to the ring and froze it in the ring groove. Thats a deadly thing because the ring will rip the cylinder wall plus there will be little if any compression in this cylinder. You are working on cylinder number 3. On that side of the engine its from the radiator to the firewall..1,3,5,7. On the drivers side its 2,4,6,8. You can see these numbers on the intake manifold port near the heads. You may not have done any horrible damage but you will only know by taking apart the engine. Our pistons are 560 to 580 thousands thick in the middle where its the thinnest part. Towards the edges its gets progressively thicker.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't even see a valve stem in there. If it's not, the outlook is grim.
That was my first thought. I would be getting ready to pull the heads at minimum...but, there's a good enough chance of damage to the piston or the cylinder walls that I would recommend pulling the engine out of the truck. What you find when pulling the heads will determine whether the engine goes back in or not, but I think cpdenton's right...the outlook is pretty grim. :(

I'm sorry...