Lots of blue smoke

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its been a long time since I have posted on here since I sold my idi, nice to be back.

Ok so I currently have a 1997 7.3 powerstroke that is blowing out blue smoke pretty heavy at first start up then it settles down. It still smokes a little, but is clear that it is blue. When I give it throttle is starts pouring out blue smoke again. Now I thought maybe the turbo was in need of a rebuild, but I just went out and checked the end play on the shaft and I am not getting really any movement in or out or up and down. The shaft seems to be ok. So I took off the intake manifold after the turbo and there was some oil in the turbo but did not seem like enough to cause this much smoke. So I left the intake manifold off and started the engine and it still smoked like crazy on start up then cleared up. So i shut it off again and then it did the same thing. So I am pretty sure the turbo is not my problem.

Now the engine runs great, no missing, runs smooth and no loss of power, no oil in coolant or coolant in oil, no fuel in coolant and no oil in fuel. I am not sure what would be causing this at this time. I am thinking maybe injector o rings? or maybe head gaskets? I am not sure. Any help would be appreciated.

Just a little history on the truck, I bought it from a friend, he bought it from a landscaping company. Only has 155,000 miles on the truck. He drove the truck and on the way to his cousins house it died. He said the fuel tank and filter were nasty and gummed up and there was water in the tank also. He cleaned everything and could not get it so start. He is not a mechanically inclined person so he sold it because it was just sitting for about 4 to 5 months in his driveway and his wife was pissed about it. I bought it, and after replacing the IPR, IDM, and some rotted fuel lines the truck fired right up and runs like a champ. Just have this smoking issue now.

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't had the truck out on the road yet to determine that, it needs tires really bad, and i don't have it plated, i wanted to get it running first, only driving i have done is down the road and back, but the oil level is good

Last edited:

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
This isn't oil.
People really need to stop trying to compare gassers to diesels. It's apples to oranges.
Check all of your glowplugs. And the harness pins.
I know I have At least 1 bad pin at the UVCH connector. I get a tiny bit of blue smoke on a colder startup. Guess how much oil I use over 10k miles?....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know it is not a gasser, but this isn't a little bit of blue smoke, it pours out when it first starts like oil is settling down in the cylinder, then after running for a minute it starts to clear, but it is still blue, give it throttle and it starts pouring out again, can that harness cause that much smoke? I'll try to see if i can get a video of it or at least a picture of the smoke

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know about anyone else, but I know if I got a stick that's not firing.
heres a way to test it without disturbing the harnesses.

You must be registered for see images attach

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the tuck after running for about ten minutes with throttle
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

This one is at first start up

This is just idling after about 8 minutes of running

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
honestly if you intend this vehicle to be daily driven, I would start by draining the tank, checking the sender and the pick up and put fresh fuel in it.
nothing like replacing everything to find out you have chitty fuel.

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have already done that, i did put one quart of transfluid in the tank and some in the fuel filter when i replaced it, but i don't think it would smoke like that from just transfluid

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
crazier things have happened. sounds like you just need to put some shoes on it and run it....
ive always been told after the ATF trick, you run it like you stole it

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not the same issue, I had a customers truck (97 PSD) that took forever to start. he only used it in his yard a little but it mostly sat. when I was finished with it he was able to drive it on the road and it began to start like normal again. he uses it like a real truck too, WFO.:peelout

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a little confused. Your Sig say's it's a 97 7.3 NON TURBO, yet you say you checked the turbo for play.

There is no manifold on a 97 that you could take off and leave off, unless your talking about the AIR INTAKE.

As far as the fuel in the tank, unless you've drained it and put in fresh fuel, you don't know what's in there. could have a lot of oil of some kind, maybe even some lousy reclaimed oil in there.

The fuel does not go thru the turbo to the cylinders. a small amount of oil in there would be natural, most of the oil would be burn't causing the smoking. There's no way for oil to get into the turbo other than the oil supplied to it for lubrication.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is no manifold on a 97 that you could take off and leave off, unless your talking about the AIR INTAKE.

There's no way for oil to get into the turbo other than the oil supplied to it for lubrication.

now im confused. by intake, I read it as the Y that goes from the turbo to the plentums, pull this off and its running N/A

on the driverside valve cover, is that not a new style CDR? its plumbed into the air intake...

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
on the driverside valve cover, is that not a new style CDR? its plumbed into the air intake...

Yeah, forgot about that. Pretty hard to get a lot of oil thru it the way there constructed, but could be if the guts where removed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online