loss of power somebody please help I'm nothing without my cummins

wakeland01

Reaction score
I need help so today my GEN light came on I didn't think anything of it since it has came on in the past amd gone away but today when I shut the truck off and tried to turn it back on the battery's were dead so I got a jump start well when I took off after the truck was started I had like no power at a mild rev of 2+ my boost gauge will maybe hit 5 usually it will go to 20 or so so I replaced my alternator and we'll still the same problem barely any boost and almost no power going up hill I don't f*****g get it it has brand new injectors in it no rough idle at all starts and runs just fine just no power while driving like any other day my turbo will spool up and I'll take off well not not somebody help please I drove on the freeway and it won get up past 55 I just put a new airdog 2 165 lift pump with adjustable regulator on it thinking it would solve the problem no it didn't somebody anybody help a fellow dodge owner out 97 12V CUMMINS 2500 5.9L or email me directly [email protected] that ks guys

Last edited by a moderator:

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well as a basic step, low boost usually results from either a plugged air filter, or intercooler leaks. I would check there first. It might have just happened to break at the same time as your alternator.

wakeland01

Reaction score
Air filter is good I will check for cracks or leaks thanks for the input

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^^ like other said wastegate or intercooler leaks

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you ever resolve this?

If not, one other thing to check...I haven't spent much time with a P-pumped engine, but on the 1st Gen VE pump engines, there's a metal line that goes from the intake to the injector pump. Dodge calls it the "air control tube". If the P pump is anything like the VE pump, there's a rubber diaphragm on the injector pump, housed in a metal case that the pump side of the air control tube goes into. The hose is supposed to put turbo boost pressure into the diaphragm, pushing it down...the diaphragm in turn pushes a rod down that allows the maximum fuel delivery to be increased. It's meant to limit the amount of fuel injected when there's no turbo boost to keep smoke to a minimum, and at higher boost levels, more fuel can be injected. With the hose being broken, the diaphragm isn't being pushed down at all when the turbo's spooled up, and therefore the injector pump's always limiting fuel injection as if the turbo wasn't working at all. The lack of fuel in turn keeps the turbo from spooling up any more, and you'll also lose boost pressure out of the line if it's broken.

Do the simple stuff first, but if those don't help, it's worth taking a look at...

Good luck!! ;Sweet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online