Looking at a 04 6.0 - bulletproof options?

aofarrell2

Turbo Desirous
Reaction score
Hi y'all,

Looking at a 2004 Ford F350 with a 6.0PSD. Far as I can tell right now it is all stock with 122K. Runs well too.

I do a lot of towing, and want to get all the 'fixes' done to it if I got it.

Doing some research there are TONS of tuners/people making tunes. Which one is a good one? I looked to see if TS made a 6-position chip like they did for the 7.3, but couldn't find one. Any good ones that have gauges in them? What about adjusting the transmission parameters to accomodate the extra power?

From my reading this is what seems I need to do:

Head studs (prolly ARP)
Ford OEM Headgaskets
EGR Delete
Updated oil cooler (?)
Updatded turbo drain pipe (?)
Change all fluids (WHICH coolant to use instead of Ford Gold coolant??)
What motor oil do you recommend to use? I use Rotella T6 5w40 in all my engines otherwise. Is it good enough? Or should I look at something like Amsoil?
Catalytic converter delete pipe/new exhaust (?)

Is there a good kit with all of the above? I'm not trying to go cheap but don't want to spend a fortune! Like I said I do a lot of towing so I want to have it running well and have decent power with good reliability. Not looking for extreme gains but it would be nice to have between 350-375HP, can the stock components such as injectors and turbo handle producing that much?

Thanks in advance!

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
5w40 is a good oil choice to help with the heui injectors. Gold coolant isnt a bad choice especially if you do all that work and change it out to new. I am unaware of an update turbo oil drain, there may be one out there but I dont think there is really any problem with the stock one. only change out the oil cooler if it isnt functioning correctly, if your ect and eot are under 15*s of difference in temperature the cooler is functioning as it should, but it is easier to replace when you do the EGR delete as its right there.

Now I do not believe in this but I have heard of guys changing out head bolts one by one for head studs. I know the Cummins boys do that. I do not recommend it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online