Looked at a 6.0 today. Had a problem that seemed strange.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i was looking at a 6.0 econoline, but the body was badly beat up on it. I got distracted by a cclb drw truck with the 6.ohno in it.

The truck has 138k on the odometer. Started great from a dead cold start. Idled smoothly after just a few seconds of rough running at startup. No smoke of any color at idle. Here is where I got stumped a little. It has very little throttle response. It would accelerate, but very slowly. Zero turbo whistle and zero black smoke. No lights on the dash and no codes stored in the computer.

Engine doesn't have studs and I saw no evidence of a tuner anywhere.

The dealership it was at plans to have it fixed and the price they gave me was pretty good. I have bought from them before and been pleased.

Should I run the other way?

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Is there a way you could get a video of what it's doing. I know that mine, when dead cold, in park/neutral and I stab the throttle, the computer slowly revs the engine.... it's not like an IDI or carb'ed gasser that it will free rev dead cold..... no smoke, and starting easy, it may be more toward the normal side..... I could take a video of mine tomorrow and show you what it does..... I'd do in now but, it's almost midnight, and I just had the truck running.... had moved it to get the boy's IDI out of the garage.......

Heck, even on my 07 P71 rev's slowly until the first stop sign........ Plus, my cold is much different than your cold..... right now, it's 19 F here...

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think it was something normal. It had a hard time making 40 miles per hour.

Our church vans are 05 6.0 e-450 chassis vans and they don't do what this truck does. When cold, they can be slow to shift and a little sluggish. This truck couldn't get out of its own way, like dangerously slow, and I had let it warm up for 15 minutes. Gauge was up in the normal zone before we left the lot. I didn't have time to hook up my scan tool and get some data.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Almost like the turbo was frozen. If it was, would the ecu cut the fuel so it wouldn't smoke?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I would run it again. 15 minutes idle warm up time doesn't mean much for a diesel.

I would almost say stiction, but you said it started fine and ran smooth.

Take a scanner and watch a few things. Vgt %, icp, ipr, oil temp and coolant temp.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks man. I am going to let them send it to whatever shop they are going to use and see what's up then.

Thanks for the advice, I will take it and use it.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can I check the FICM voltage with my code reader? Will it read all the other stuff I should check?

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use a Bluetooth module and enginelink app for iPhone. It can read instant parameters that the ecu sees.

Pretty neat. In my expedition, I use it to give a heads Up display and real numbers on coolant and trans temp when towing.

I will go through the menu and see if those are on the list. I assume that the ecu sees all these parameters.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Ah, then it should work for those.
I think you can get car gauge pro for iPhone. It will also run those.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep. It's a sweet little app.

Might take a look at the 6.0 van again. They are sending it to the body shop to get some repairs. It ran really well, and I really want a van to work out of. I lay tile and hardwood and keeping my tools dry would be a plus....

I will keep you updated when they get them back from the shops.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They got the truck back from the shop today. It runs good other than a torn CAC pipe boot. Not sure I trust the shop that missed that. I think they did something with the turbo. Said it was frozen up.

It still built 20 psi with the torn boot.
Transmission shifted hard at first, but smoothed out after a few minutes.

It had 13.74 volts at the Engine computer. It is a dual alternator truck. Is that normal?

I have a shop here in town that is going to look it over before I buy it.

Really nice folks at that shop who are building 6.7 liter powered excursions. They are sweeeeeet.

Last edited:

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
They got the truck back from the shop today. It runs good other than a torn CAC pipe boot. Not sure I trust the shop that missed that. I think they did something with the turbo. Said it was frozen up.

It still built 20 psi with the torn boot.
Transmission shifted hard at first, but smoothed out after a few minutes.

It had 13.74 volts at the Engine computer. It is a dual alternator truck. Is that normal?

I have a shop here in town that is going to look it over before I buy it.

Really nice folks at that shop who are building 6.7 liter powered excursions. They are sweeeeeet.

Which boot was torn? May have been the veins stuck in the turbo....

I think stock, the 6.0 will hit 28, 30 or 32 will pop the CEL......

Not sure on the voltage, but the 6.0 is a power hog, I know mine, with fairly new batteries, and a new alternator, it just barely gets to 14v when at warm idle.....

LA LA LA LA... not hearing anything about 6.7 Excursions.... LA LA LA LA LA..........