locating a 1st gen W250

SORTIE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a diesel pickup, not to mod but to pull my 4,500# boat and 500# trailer.

I was originally seeking a '94-98 F250 PSD, but I like what I read about Dodge and the Cummins diesel

How big were the production runs of the W250s? It seems hard to find one in classified listings.

MMeier

Reaction score
Let EBay be your friend. I had to travel out of state to get mine, no regrets!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have a line on a '93 intercooled 4spd auto w250 rust free kali truck.
unmodded and unmolested orig truck.
can post latest pictures in the morning.
here's a couple of pics from back in '07
truck hasn't decayed any since then.

Attachments

• 05-23-07_1935.jpg
    05-23-07_1935.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 05-23-07_1936.jpg
    05-23-07_1936.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 17

SORTIE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that's nice...I would lose the cap tho...put a big diamond-plate tool box behind the cab

I'm into function, not speed or smoke

would prefer a Getrag 5-sp but could live with an auto...were those trannies robust enough for towing?

my bro lives in San Marino Kali

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the trans is a TF904 with a add-on OD.
I haven't seen them come in for serious work if they are cared for.
this truck has been very well taken care of previously.
Inside the cap there is a GN ball attachment, so I know it did see some towing.
san marino is about a 6 hour drive south of me if you don't drive like a nut.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
They are both strong enough. I think the manual needs a mod for the 5th gear (I could be wrong, I get the manual transes mixed up, the nut works loose on that gear), the auto could use a shift kit, synthetic fluid and the biggest cooler you can install.
Just doing pump mods and uncorking the intake and exhaust really wakes the truck up without making it a smoky hot rod, and it will make towing easier on you because the truck is not working so hard.

redwood logger

Reaction score
I found mine on craigslist, they are hard to come by. I had to pay more then I wanted to and travel to get it, but it was the only one I could fing for sale in northern California. I am glad I didd'nt settle though. Around here they almost give the chevy diesels away and you can find a ford to buy on every other corner.

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
QUOTE]

Huh? Should read TF727 w/ overdrive, though not "really" an add-on. Everyone says a good valve body or shift kit and a good torque converter makes them good. Mine is a Getrag though, so I don't have 1st hand experience with them.
Travis..

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
QUOTE]

Huh? Should read TF727 w/ overdrive, though not "really" an add-on. Everyone says a good valve body or shift kit and a good torque converter makes them good. Mine is a Getrag though, so I don't have 1st hand experience with them.
Travis..
travis-
the next gen up with the IC got the OD. they didn't mate up the OD to a 727. The best you could do was a TF904. Still a good trans.
Just got off the phone with the owner. He's looking at a number near $5500 for the truck.

SORTIE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$5,500 is full value for a truck of that vintage when an F250 with the Navistar IDI corngrinder can be had for $3K or less

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
Another good place to look is Criagslist in your area and Diesel truck Resource's Classified part of their site. Usually some nice rigs for sale on there.

The G360 didn't have the 5th gear nut issues that the '94-up NV4500 had. It's a decent transmission as long as it's taken care of. The TF727 was a 3-speed and was replaced by the 4-speed with OD A518 in '91 I believe. The A518 is essentially a 46RH.

Sortie one reason for the premium in price is because you're getting a much better engine. The Navistar is an indirect injection V8 design with an optional turbo. The Cummins is a direct injection turbocharged engine and in the '91.5 - '93 trucks it came with an intercooler. With the IDI you're going to be getting around 16mpg whereas with the Cummins you're going to get in the low 20s. Oh and you don't get that Cummins purr with a V8.

SORTIE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another good place to look is Criagslist in your area and Diesel truck Resource's Classified part of their site. Usually some nice rigs for sale on there.
Rebel, great avatar! I'm tired of all the scams on Craigslist (military owner shipping out, must sell truck cheap, shipping pre-paid :rolleyes: )

rebel horse said:
Oh and you don't get that Cummins purr with a V8.
the Corngrinder is indestructible, but it's a loud and crude engine, so I hear ya on the purr :Thumbs Up , but > 5 bombs for a 16 year old truck is too rich for my blood...I'm lookin to tow a 5,000# boat/trailer combination a few times a year and keep my diesel Benz ('85 300TDT) off the road in the winter...need to buy a boat trailer too for another $1,500 and I'd have to do a ton of trailering/hauling before I broke even on all that money.

Towcat, no offense intended and I know you're an intermediary, but KBB shows $4,600 as the price for a W250 in excellent condition - not an ex-commercial pickup. what's the mileage?

Last edited:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Towcat, no offense intended and I know you're an intermediary, but KBB shows $4,600 as the price for a W250 in excellent condition - not an ex-commercial pickup. what's the mileage?
It's 130k on the odo. I have to come to his defense on calling it a ex-commercial truck. he hung a shingle on the side but he took excellent care of it. you won't find another as nice. the factory unholstered cloth bench seat still looks new. he's bringing it by for pics this morning, once I post them, you'll understand. he knows at the pricepoint it's going to be a tough sell, but he also knows what he went through to find this one. if it wasn't for the fact he needs money, this truck wouldn't be for sale.
one more thing. KBB is meaningless on anything over 10 years old. you can't average out stuff from kali vs. ny. geographical and climate conditions play a huge influence on the older stuff.
hell, I bought what was left of squidley's w250 after he rolled it over for $1000.

SORTIE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
everyone needs $ these days :Q and I hope your customer gets his price (won't be from me tho)

Kali vehicles fare better than four-season vehicles, but the state is in tough shape financially and the Governator is learning that this ain't the movies

all over the country, tradesmen are idle, especially if their craft is "elective" rather than necessary

I'd like to see the pictures because I have yet to see a tradesman's van or p/u that isn't well-worn (and rightfully so, they've got loads to transport and tools to protect)

the KBB value actually seems high based on W250 prices I see on discussion boards, which tend to be in the $3-4K range. but let's face it a history of proper maintenance, low mileage, and good condition always = a higher asking price

I like older vehicles and keep them as long as possilbe

Last edited: