Lets have some fun!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffMoss1

Jeff
Reaction score
About a year ago, I, being a 20 year old college student that couldn’t tell the difference between a piston and an alternator, decided to buy a 17 year old model of the extended version of what I’ve come to realize must be the biggest van on earth, to try and figure out what the heck working on cars/trucks/whatever is all about. I seriously didn’t know anything. It all started with the dream of the “vegetable oil powered road trip around the country,” but it’s somehow grown further into how big can I get my exhaust pipe and a constant realization that my engine is bigger than everyone else’s around me. I’m not sure whether this is good or bad.

My favorite part of the van, so far, was my two week long project this past
summer where I took the exhaust system off of an enormous fire engine and retrofitted it to work on my van. I have a very low budget, so this was my idea for an upgrade as opposed to nothing. I made friends with a guy who owned a really sketchy junk yard down by the river, and he agreed to let me go at the fire truck if I worked for him for a day. So after an absolutely exhausting Saturday of collecting tires and crawling through the mud, he finally let me go at this thing with my wrenches. Somehow, I actually got the thing off, and in retrospect, Jack definitely got the better end of the deal.

At the time, I was learning how to weld, so I decided to buy a dirt cheap, used, harbor-freight welder in order to do this project. Seeing as there was only so much pipe from the fire truck, I was only able to add it on about two feet after the wye pipe, but it ended up working quite well. The pipes consisted of some straight and some bent pipe (4” in diameter) and a muffler. I used a friends abrasive chop saw and step by step chopped and welded these pipes together in order to get a geometry that would travel down the length of the van, sweep up over the rear axel, and nicely curve over to the side behind the back tire to stick out and show the world how big my pipe was. What I’m most proud of myself for is doing all this on the ground in the driveway of my rental house, running my sketchy, homemade 240V extension cord out the window for the welder.

This has been one of many projects that I’ve taken on since I bought this van. I have in fact designed a heated vegetable oil system so I can drive for free, and I’ve done a few other things including installation of some seats, coolant filter with SCAs, etc. My reason for being a part of this website is obvious. There’s a crew of some of the nicest, most helpful guys I ever could have imagined finding, let alone on the internet. With the encouragement of a few of the guys here, I’ve recently bought a 6.9L (from Rob Wick, 69Oiler,) and I’m going to be attempting to rebuild it this summer. We will see how it goes, I will no doubt be needing some advice along the way.

So, in conclusion, hook me up with that exhaust system, and you know it’ll go to good use! I’ll have the perfect opportunity to install it when I take my engine out this summer. I dismissed the idea of a real exhaust system long ago as being cost-prohibitive, but you guys could change that. Photos of my makeshift exhaust system can be seen at

http://www.rpi.edu/~mossj/Fire Truck Exhaust/

kcw12

CrazedCountryRebel
Reaction score
Why i visit Oil Burners, is quiet simple. I own a 1990 Ford F-250 with an ancient type diesel. With this motor good help is hard to find. And being this place, it generally gives good help. I was able to call other users with problems and they were able to help me very quickly.

Now why i love my truck. My truck is a almost indestructible beast w/ a 7.3l IDI motor that has the world's best setup on it. No computer.
My truck has been beaten to death by me. Ive hauled my loads with it. Pull a 12 by 40 trailer with no wheels, wasn't able to pull it far, do to a lack of traction, but it moved, it moved around 12 feet, then it wouldn't go any farther.

Sandman

Superfluous tasks
Reaction score
Workable, Useable Truth..

Why I like Oilburners.. By Sandman..

Workable, Useable Truth..
Truth is seen in terms of the metaphor that solves a problem, removes a perplexity and resolves a frustration. Put differently, this theory of truth should be understood as suggesting that there would be no point in calling something true that satisfies all our aims in inquiry, although one does not need to conclude from this that in practice anything very interesting could be called true in this version. What could be called true would be just those things we think we have good reason and justification for believing and using. But one is tempted to doubt that even the best of our efforts do not lead to the pragmatic conclusion that they are true. Moreover, ‘workability’, ‘useability’, and ‘practicability’ are the basis of the justification of the existence of any institution. However that does not take into account the circumstances under which these institutions are ‘workable’, neither historically nor socially--which raises questions with regard to the legitimacy of such pragmatic institutions. This thus becomes an ideological set of justifications for the notion that whatever ‘we’ have is justifiable and thus legitimate since it is 'workable' and 'practical' regardless of the means through which it is achieved.

Note: with the exception of the first three words, the above has been shamelessly plagiarized with the help of Google.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let's see how rusty my writing skills are...

I will begin by explaining why I visit a diesel truck site at all. Of course, the simple answer would be "I own a diesel truck", but when I joined Ford-Diesel.com (STD's previous name) in January 2000, I didn't own a Ford, didn't have any intention of owning a Ford, and wouldn't own a Ford for almost a full year. I was fairly new to the automotive diesel world at the time (had been playing with marine diesels since I was 14 in 1995, but owned my first "car" diesel in 1999), was driving an International Scout with a Nissan diesel, and was curious about how that engine compared to the 6.9l that's in what was at the time my uncle's truck. I realized that I had stumbled across a good group of guys and that I could learn a lot by hanging around, so I did. It was beneficial enough that, by the time I decided I wanted to replace the Scout with an '84 E-350 with a 6.9l, I knew exactly what to look for in the van to know whether I was buying a reliable daily driver or not. Moreover, at least among the IDI guys, there was a strong sense of community, regardless of distance, political differences, etc. that I came to greatly appreciate.

The sense of community only grew when, on April 30th, 2001, I learned that my uncle had suffered a sudden and massive heart attack. He was only 49, and he and I were fairly close, so this was a devastating loss for me and for my whole family. To be honest, I still have not fully recovered from that loss, even after 6 years, but that is another subject for another day. I was surprised when my aunt decided to give me his truck, although it made sense in retrospect...he had taught me how to drive a clutch in the truck when I was 15, and had commented about possibly giving it to me someday. So...even though the truck has had countless issues (to the point where, between repairs and upgrades, I think I've put $6K into the truck that I don't really have :shocked: ), I will keep her on the road until either I die or am forced by circumstances beyond my control to give her up. She is my strongest connection to my uncle. It has almost become a mission for me...my long-term (and probably unrealistic) goal is a complete restoration. And, the community of IDI owners has helped me immeasurably with all of this, both technically and emotionally. I owe them a debt of gratitude that I cannot even comprehend repaying; I just hope that I can contribute half of what I have received from them. Unfortunately, my current job keeps me from posting much at all; the only reason I have time to type this is that today is my Saturday (and I have a million errands to run).

Unfortunately, the management at STD decided that they did not like the way the IDI guys were according themselves. It was determined that we were breaking the rules with off-topic posts, etc. and they began cracking down so heavily that an analogy to official German actions in the late 1930's would not be inappropriate. This became so severe that, in early January 2005, a few people found OilBurners and began sending private messages to other members of the IDI community to invite us over. This was the first wave, and I'm happy to say that I was a part of that wave. In OilBurners, I found a site where a community such as I have described was welcomed, and where people with "obsolete" engines were accepted instead of being barely tolerated. There was a second major wave of defections shortly thereafter, and people still trickle in to this day. Furthermore, the management at OB had (and continue to have) a more open mind about things in general, which I for one found to be a breath of fresh air.

In conclusion, OilBurners is really a part of my life, sad as though it may seem. ;) I am unable to post nearly as often as I would like, but I read this site daily, and feel that I have found a number of friends of a caliber that is rare in this day and age. That really means a lot to me.

Thanks to Mike, Tony, and everyone who has kept this site going and developed it into the quality site that it is today! Here's to hoping that the quieter forums take off and this site is able to develop into as strong of a resource for other truck owners as it is for IDI owners.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why I like Oilburners.. By Sandman..

Note: with the exception of the first three words, the above has been shamelessly plagiarized with the help of Google.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Plagiarized or not, thats more than I have ever seen you post anywhere outside the word association thread at any one time on this site.LOL

Sandman

Superfluous tasks
Reaction score
Plagiarized or not, thats more than I have ever seen you post anywhere outside the word association thread at any one time on this site.LOL

I got into a few heated "snot slingers" back in the olden daze... but now I mostly "lurk" at several sites..

Now my timing is bad.. when I get to the end of a thread and am ready to let everyone know that they are a chuckleheads, someone else has stated my idea.. oh well...

I was looking for a short, crisp, snotty one liner to enter when I stumbled upon the stolen text.. my eyes bulged & head spun so much that I was ready to see Herb for some of his super x-ray vision glasses.. so I shared it..

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Looking good so far kiddies ;Sweet :D
Don't forget that it's not just stacks that can be won! A regular under chassis system can also be had so let's not get off track :thumbsup:

Great reading so far :cheers:

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Why I like Oilburners.net

Hmmm lets see here. This kind of brings the memories back from the old days of school having to write an essay for English class.

Which goes right inline with the fact that I have developed a passion for the old school “dinosaur” diesel engines that International Harvester had developed, the indirect injected diesel engine better known as the IDI.

Invited over by another member of the site, Oilburners.net has been a great influence on me over the past two and a half years when a large group of oilburnin’ diesel truck enthusiasts decided to call Oilburners.net their home.

I was told that Oilburners.net is the place to be. You know what? They were right and here is why.

There are many knowledgeable members who have contributed their information and passed it along to others who either may be a member or just lurking around the site looking for some information on their vehicle. It doesn’t matter if it is diesel, gas, car, truck, medium duty truck or just about anything that you can think of, someone has discussed it one way or another.

Oilburners.net opened their doors to a group of individuals that share a passion towards the IDI diesel powered pickup trucks to share their knowledge, ideas, trials and tribulations to others.

I myself have learned a great deal about the diesel engine and if it had not been for Oilburners.net, I’m not quite sure where I would be at today.

Since becoming a member, I have since completed a full frame off restoration of a 1990 Ford F-350 Crew Cab 4 wheel drive pickup literally from the ground up.:eek:

Taking the truck completely apart just as if it was at the factor assembly line, I replaced rotting floor pans, rusty doors and fenders, damaged fiberglass fender flares and brought the truck back from the rusty condition that it was in with a fresh coat of paint.

Not only restoring the truck, I was able to add a performance upgrade. Yep a Banks turbo purchased from a member of Oilburners.net.:D

Without the help of the members of the site, who had not only contributed their knowledge, they had also lent a hand and some priceless sweat equity in helping complete the project in time for an annual truck rally. A big shout out to all whom has helped!:hail

A rally which members gather together and enjoy some time meeting up with old friends and meeting new ones sharing their stories from the past year and get to show off our toys for a little action packed fun.

Yes Oilburners.net is the place to be on the World Wide Web!:Thumbs Up

They not only have a place for members to share their knowledge in forums, but also provide a place where technical articles can be posted for certain topics of repair, upgrades and modifications varying from different makes and models.

Accented also with a great variety of sponsors who provide an excellent variety of products offered to the diesel enthusiast looking for maybe a minor enhancement all the way up to making some serious power under the hood.

When you get done from a hard days work, you can hop on in to the lounge, kick your boots off, grab your favorite beverage and sit back and enjoy the posts where we get together from time to time to share a daily mussing or some seriously tall tales.

So when someone asks me where can I find some information on my diesel truck, I tell them to look up Oilburners.net on the web because this is where the information will be. Either in a forum posted question, technical article or all the way back to a history lesson on the diesel engine.

That my friend is why I like Oilburners.net:thumbsup:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's why OB is so good...weedeater topics buried in good info:D;Sweet
Whoever wins and whatever the stacks go on, remember SIZE MATTERS.
This guy had the right idea going when he bought the truck (chevy C5500 AWD) but must have hit his head on the choice for the stacks.
lookie........cookoo

Attachments

• 05-04-07_1039.jpg
    05-04-07_1039.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 94
Status
Not open for further replies.