Knock Knock, Anyone Home?

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am looking for the TDI gurus. I hang out mostly in the IDI forum since that is what I drive but I am going to buy a TDI for me and the wife in the next weeks. Whats the good and bad years? Any different versions of engines? I found I 98 with just under 100K I was looking at but was also looking at the newer body style as well. Prob as new as 2002 is in my price range. The 98 is probably as old as I would go since my wife will be driving it too. If it was me id just find an 85 with 200k and drive it/fix till it dies LOL Any thing I should look for in particular when I go and look at one? All help and knowledge is greatly appreciated :thumbsup:

tgatch

Reaction score
90HP TDI's have a good Bosch Injection system. I have heard that the 110 HP TDI's have a "nozzle injection system". Both systems work well, but you need a special lubricant(read expensive) for the second system.

What are you looking for? Jetta or Beetle? personally I would get a manul if at all possible. Manuals are good for about 7mpg more in town driving. As a Freeway runner there is only about 4mpg difference.

Electrical problems are common on the Beetles and can be expensive. We got our 2000 Beetle a few weeks ago and bought a 36/36,000 warranty on it. Also, timing belts are VERY important. If you don't have concrete proof of when it was done, get it done.

Also... lots of good info to be had here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online