King pin kit

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need a full king pin kit for 88 f350, including the upper metal cone shape piece that screws into the axle housing the upper bushing rides on. Where to buy them? eBay only list dodge and chevy ones. Replaced everything but that cone like 6 months ago, noticed it was worn out and pitted but no parts store in town could find it or cross reference it told me to check junk yards and I did there were none to be found.. well now it's loose and wobbling again and I'm sure that cone broke the plastic upper bushing again and probaby is damaging the lower bearing as well so I want to do this again but correctly with all the parts to make it new again! I anti-seized some of the parts lightly knowing I would likely be doing this again.. didn't think so soon though

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is what I bought to do mine.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/272132206964

For what it's worth, I think the KPs themselves are the same regardless of manufacturers. I think it's just the knuckles that are different for the brands. Might contact those people and see if they will sell you just the KPs. It seems you've bought the rest already.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did buy the rest and did instal once but I'm pretty sure it all got broke because I can move my wheel like 1/4 inch back and forth and can see the king pin is the part that is bad. Also the 100$ spicer kit looks a lot nicer than the parts store kit i bought I was just hoping they would have one for ford

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found it went to venture truck parts website found the one side kit and it does appear they they are same ford chevy and dodge. 91 dollars for everything, gonna get new wheel bearings and seal at same time I'm doing this so I done have to mess with anything on that side for a while hopefully, maybe even re-pack the passenger front wheel bearing to since I'll already be covered in grease when I do this lol

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You will need a 7/8 hex key to remove them. Trick someone here told me that works like a charm for removing them. Take a thin cutoff wheel and go around the base of the KP just above the knuckle. Don't cut all the way through just in about 1/4" if memory serves. Then take impact gun and tighten it down some more and then reverse it and it should spin right out. The cut relieves the pressure on the fastener.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used the back side of a socket that had a 6 point end on it, it fit right in no play, filled it with nuts I had laying around that fit inside the socket, then used a 3 foot pipe wrench on the socket and it came right out with some effort lol it had to be removed the first time I did the pin so I could remove everything

kuskoal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4wd factory has your solution for the Dana 60. The guys even made a super hard 7/8 hex key for just the kingpins! Hope you got a torch and a cutoff wheel.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
Throw away the crappy plastic bushing and everything related to the top pin. Get a brass bushing and a springless adjustable top cap and never look back. I love my adjustable caps.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
I need to take a picture of how I get the king pin off it's pretty good lol, no torche, no impact now hex key socket tool either! Lol I used the back side of this tool and clamped a 3 foot pipe wrench to the front of it leaned on it while friend tapped around axle with hammer lightly last time. The socket won't crush under pressure because it's filled with those spring things, first time I found a use for this tool. Limited on tools and equipment but very creative sometimes lol

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also I thought about getting the camber kit for it, they sell them at advanced auto where I get a pretty good discount there I'm not sure if it's the same though?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Buy the hex key and a pipe, or use a good hex socket, that pin has to be tight or it will ruin the axle end.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Torque spec on the KP is like 650-700 ft lbs just FYI.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It got tightend with a 3 foot wrench and all my weight when I put it on, I don't have a torque wrench that goes to 650..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnlx