Key broke off in ignition!

GaPchNCrm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Help! I went to crank my truck and the silver thingy ( great technical term :rolleyes: ) popped off and the key broke off in the ignition! I have other keys, but I can't crank it without the silver thingy. What part do I need to buy to hand to BJ so he can fix it? Thanks!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GaPchNCrm said:
Help! I went to crank my truck and the silver thingy ( great technical term :rolleyes: ) popped off and the key broke off in the ignition! I have other keys, but I can't crank it without the silver thingy. What part do I need to buy to hand to BJ so he can fix it? Thanks!
you'll need the "ignition lock cylinder assembly" at almost any auto parts store. not a terribly tough job to do but you will need to pull some plastic covers and possibly the steering wheel.

GaPchNCrm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
towcat said:
you'll need the "ignition lock cylinder assembly" at almost any auto parts store. not a terribly tough job to do but you will need to pull some plastic covers and possibly the steering wheel.

THANKS!!!!!!!!!

GaPchNCrm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is this it?

IGNITION LOCK (CYLINDER & KEYS)

LOCKWORKS IGNITION LOCK (CYLINDER & KEYS) for a 1993 FORD TRUCK F350 1 TON P/U 2WD

Unit Price: $15.99
Core Value*: $0.00
Part No.: LC14380
Weight: 0.00 lbs.
Warranty:
Availability: Online: Ships within 2 business days
Store: Normally Stocked
Note:

Nickbf2504x4

ATV Racr-IDI Driver
Reaction score
maybe its differnet on a '93 but on my 89 the lock cylinder pops out if you depress the pin in the little groove under the column, no plastic or sterring wheel removal required! :draw

Roland_Jenkins

Señor Member
Reaction score
If the key is broken off inside, can you turn it with a screw driver or other high tech device?
Considering the little silver "thingie" is all ready off. Do you see a small pin hole? If so, turn the key to on, insert a paper clip into the little hole and the cylinder should come out.

Might want to disconnect the batteries first.

GaPchNCrm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Roland_Jenkins said:
If the key is broken off inside, can you turn it with a screw driver or other high tech device?
Considering the little silver "thingie" is all ready off. Do you see a small pin hole? If so, turn the key to on, insert a paper clip into the little hole and the cylinder should come out.

Might want to disconnect the batteries first.

yes, I am becoming rather handy with a flathead screwdriver lol its my new tool! and I lik ethe after thought on the batteries heh... Thanks guys I'll pick up the part tomm! :hail

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anybody notice how girls have a habit of breaking something just by looking at it almost? Clang! Sound of frying pan that just hit my head.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
ok,Place your bets....
5 to 1 odds that I will get Both WL and the E back on the road before the real Enterprise is built
2-1 odds that Tanya will break something else this week
10-1 odds BJ will break something this week
1-1 odds that Tanya will break something fixing the switch........
:shocked:

Agnem said:
Anybody notice how girls have a habit of breaking something just by looking at it almost? Clang! Sound of frying pan that just hit my head.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
GaPchNCrm said:
yes, I am becoming rather handy with a flathead screwdriver lol its my new tool! and I lik ethe after thought on the batteries heh... Thanks guys I'll pick up the part tomm! :hail

This is probably how the part got broke in the first place LOL * if I shove my fix it all tool here and pry just a little - oopsie ;p LOL

Nah seriously it's an easy job - I've done it long long ago on another Ford I used to own. Just like R_J said...

GaPchNCrm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jonathan- This time I admit to being the one to break it. At least this is cheap and easy to fix. All of the other things that have happened to MY truck were while it was in the "loving care" of my husband, or the huge dent was from another MALE driver. lol I got sick of hearing guys say ( while pointing to that dent) " see what happens when you let a woman drive a truck like that?" grrrrrrrrr

Mel- I hope she hits you again, for me :D

Travis- 1. no it got broke because the stupid silver thingy was already messed up and it evidently bent the key, then broke finaly when i tried to turn it. and 2. at least I'm getting MY truck fixed and not giving it up for a " horse of a different color" ... oh wait, that would be GOAT of a different color I guess? :)

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GaPchNCrm said:
Travis- 1. no it got broke because the stupid silver thingy was already messed up and it evidently bent the key, then broke finaly when i tried to turn it. and 2. at least I'm getting MY truck fixed and not giving it up for a " horse of a different color" ... oh wait, that would be GOAT of a different color I guess? :)

ouch......that one is gonna hurt LOL LOL LOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online