just bought a turbo, need help!

Nickbf2504x4

ATV Racr-IDI Driver
Reaction score
I just bought an ATS non wastegated turbo(rectangular filter housing) and the seller said it was complete but there are no instructions... any photos or instructions would be greatly appreciated thanks :hail

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Call ATS and see if they can email you the directions. Most of the time they will have them available for download or such.

Get ready for a grin after you get her plumbed up.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Somewhere out in that cloud called the internet, somebody posted them. Just can't remember who, or where. I'd have to say a fax from the factory would probably be your best bet.

Nickbf2504x4

ATV Racr-IDI Driver
Reaction score
thanks for the advice and inspiration ;Sweet but im missing a few pieces :)backoff that wily seller)...i have the turbo (obviously) and there is an elbow on it that a braided steel oil line attaches to...my question is where is the oil supplied to the other end of this line? is this an ATS part or can i get it from autozone? again :hail :hail :hail

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nickbf2504x4 said:
thanks for the advice and inspiration ;Sweet but im missing a few pieces :)backoff that wily seller)...i have the turbo (obviously) and there is an elbow on it that a braided steel oil line attaches to...my question is where is the oil supplied to the other end of this line? is this an ATS part or can i get it from autozone? again :hail :hail :hail
there should be a fitting on the top of the turbo for the line to connect to. You should be able to find it at any hardware store. I got creative since I have plans to put a pressure accumulator tank for cooling down the turbo after shutdown.So, I had a block machined for a larger fitting on the top of the turbo. Also, I have a wastegated ATS on my truck so I can't be much help on the "missing" parts and from my conversation with ATS, they aren't doing much in the way of supporting the IDI stuff anymore. They do have parts for the wastegated unit but the non-wastegated doesn't have a PDF file on www.atsdiesel.com . You also might want to PM "the warden" since he has a running non-wastegated ATS on his truck. he might be able to answer most of your parts location question. My experience with the wastegated unit is pretty good. the location of the parts is mechanic friendly outside of the uppipe assy which didn't want to seperate. Wound up lifting the body to pull the motor. Steel block on the top of the turbo can be seen on the pic below.

added in edit......their reformatted website does have a PDF for the non-wastegated unit.....look for it in the technical help heading.

Attachments

• _FORD0003.z19765.jpg
    _FORD0003.z19765.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
from my conversation with ATS, they aren't doing much in the way of supporting the IDI stuff anymore.

Not good. ;Really

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quote:
from my conversation with ATS, they aren't doing much in the way of supporting the IDI stuff anymore.

Not good.

mel-
there's no denial that we're a a shrinking market share. That was what prompted me to get extra rubber items specific to the ATS unit. I've learned a long time ago, stock up on extra parts, especially when it comes to owning dinosaurs. Why do you think I have a shop full of parts? :D

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nick,

I'm assuming you've got the same turbo I do (non-wastegated ATS with the "square" box and the weird looking turbo exhaust casting). I actually have a full set of instructions on the computer, including a parts list and a blow-up diagram. This was scanned in and E-mailed to me by another board member (a TDS guy who didn't make the switchover, unfortunately), and I had to stitch a few parts of it together, so while all of the information's present, it's a little bit crude.

I'm at school at the moment; if you'd like, I can E-mail the files to you after I get home tonight. Also, take a look here. Most of the page is dedicated to the head gasket job, but I did take a few pictures of the turbo setup as I was putting it together. In retrospect, I wish I had taken more pictures of the turbo setup, but I may still be able to help you if the pictures and the diagram aren't enough.

Hope this helps...good luck! :)

L.Wilkinson

Its an Arktos not a Sub
Reaction score
Nickbf2504x4 said:

I used to install the ATS non waste gated kits. The oil supply fitting you are in need of (I replied to your post over on the TDS as well!) is a 1/8"NPT 90 degree elbow, #4 JIC male flare for the braid supply hose to connect to. The small square head pipe plug is adjacent to the oil filter, visible from below on the driver side and can be tight to remove. I don't have any documents like the Warden, but can still remember just about every aspect of the installation, got them down to about 6 hours including full exhaust and gauges into the cab.
Lorne

Nickbf2504x4

ATV Racr-IDI Driver
Reaction score
L.Wilkinson said:
I used to install the ATS non waste gated kits. The oil supply fitting you are in need of (I replied to your post over on the TDS as well!) is a 1/8"NPT 90 degree elbow, #4 JIC male flare for the braid supply hose to connect to. The small square head pipe plug is adjacent to the oil filter, visible from below on the driver side and can be tight to remove. I don't have any documents like the Warden, but can still remember just about every aspect of the installation, got them down to about 6 hours including full exhaust and gauges into the cab.
Lorne

I really appreciate it... although i spoke with an ATS rep today who told me the 085 kit that i have isn't compatible with the 7.3 motor...he said it doesn't flow enogh air? what do y'all think? :hail