just bought a 86 f250 with a 6.9 w/banks turbo

harvesterman93

Reaction score
hey guys new to this site and also to diesels i have a business working on ih pick ups and scouts and recently bought a 1986 f250 4x4 with a 6.9 and a 4 speed manual it also has a banks turbo installed basicly im just curious in hearing some of the best modifications i can do to the 6.9 for better performance and longevity it currently has 143k and i plan on putting many more miles on the ole gal its not gonna be a full time daily driver but it will be drivin 3 or 4 days a week here and there and it will be used to hual my 18x7 car trailer with fairly heavy vehicles on it. currently it gets around 16mpg iv heard of them getting 20-22mpg so id really like to try to get up to 20mpg if possible and also add a little more umphh for hualing cars so hit me with any tuning sugestions or modifications you might have im eager to learn more about these old idi's and of coarse to get mine in tip top shape thanks guys any help is much appreciated.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the condition of the injection pump and injectors?? If these are original, it may be time to replace because the fuel systems on these trucks will wear out within approximately 100k. If these are the original (gray paint), replacing them will improve the mileage and power. When doing this, it is also a good idea to get the engine timed. A poorly timed engine will decrease power and mileage quite a bit with these engines. I would also check out the fuel filter. An old/clogged fuel filter will not supply the fuel that the injection pump needs to work properly. Also check for fuel leaks just to be safe.
These trucks do not have the power of a powerstroke or a cummins...but they will always pull what you throw at them. Just be patient with the old girl. Injection pump can be turned up if you have a pyrometer to monitor EGT's.
Hope this helps you and welcome to the forum!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent