It's been fun while it lasted...

unclehoser

Old dog, new tricks
Reaction score
One other thought - is it a 4x4?
4x4 trucks have the speedo gear in the transfer case for driving either a cable, cable plus electronic sender(my 88 with cruise did this), or simply an electronic sender(I found this on another 80's vintage gas truck).

Not a 4X4, but a good thought. It has a cruise control, but I don't even know if it works. Never had it up to a cruising speed! More digging required.
It's already posted 'For Sale' and had a few hits...we'll see...Thanks!
D.

unclehoser

Old dog, new tricks
Reaction score
Yep, in 91 they called it an abs sensor, in 92 they called it the differential speed sensor. Exact same part.
You must be registered for see images attach

Definitely more digging necessary. It's dark now, but we'll give it a look when my schedule and daylight coincide!

Of course, it won't make the mechanical speedo work...but if the f***g trans will shift when it's supposed to, that's a huge improvement.

Thanks!
D.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definitely more digging necessary. It's dark now, but we'll give it a look when my schedule and daylight coincide!

Of course, it won't make the mechanical speedo work...but if the f***g trans will shift when it's supposed to, that's a huge improvement.

Thanks!
D.

Yes, it will make the speedo work, because you will need to swap the speedometer from a 92-96 all the way in because the psom is in the speedometer gauge itself. Take your speedo out of the cluster and put in the speedo only from the newer cluster, wire it up right, and you will be good to go.

rsaltaresjr

Reaction score
I agree, with the newer cluster and the rabs sensor on the differential providing a speed signal, your transmission will shift properly and you will have a working speedometer. The only other sensors the e4od uses on my 94 turbo idi are the throttle position sensor on the injector pump and the tachometer sensor on the timing gear cover. You could make this work.

unclehoser

Old dog, new tricks
Reaction score
Well, guys, we'll see what happens. The truck MIGHT be sold tomorrow...I have a guy who really wants it bad! 3 calls from him today making sure it'll be here tomorrow afternoon. It's been raining here for 2 days (in Arizona desert...ain't that a *****!) and I've been working the day job, so I haven't had a chance to crawl under there & see what's up on the diff. It's supposed to keep raining for DAYS (still can't figure that out) and I'm heading to Phoenix on Sunday to pick up another truck (2002 Powerstroke with a STICK, DAMMIT!!!!). Like I said, we'll see.

Again, and I can't say it enough, THANK YOU for all the help & advice. You guys are the very best!!!

D.

unclehoser

Old dog, new tricks
Reaction score
Well, we took the leap. Got a great deal on a 2002 Powerstroke F250 with a ZF trans. Damn, I love to shift things myself! I've only owned 2 auto-trans vehicles in my life, so you can see where I'm coming from. "New" truck runs like a top, drives like a dream. Very well-maintained, one-owner truck with 200K on the clock, no major issues. The worst thing I can find wrong is that it needs a LOT of soap & water! I don't think the guy ever rolled up the windows or cleaned up the interior. Had about an inch of desert dust everywhere before I spent about 5 hours today with the shopvac and gallons of windex/oxyclean/purple power/ammonia water, etc. Still not done, but we made a good dent in it! Exterior is filthy at this point, but only because I had to run it from Phoenix 250 miles or so in the rain.

Just a side note...I couldn't believe the fuel economy. Filled up in Wickenburg, drove to Bullhead, AZ (185.6 miles) and topped off. Took 9.526 gallons. I'll do the math for ya...that's 19.48 MPG!!! I'm not only impressed, I'm ecstatic! Is this even possible? I wasn't hammering it, only ran 65-70 the whole way, but DAMN!!!

The old '91 IDI is still sitting here, no takers so far. If time permits I may dig into it a bit farther...it's a viable means of transportation, and a good ol' beater for workhorse duty. Lots of good ideas around here.

Cheers...
D

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the next tank, too. Often you'll be off by 1 mpg or so depending on where you fill up, how full you get it, etc.
Averaging a couple of tanks helps even that out.

That being said, my mom's 02 crew-cab Powerstroke with the 4R100 routinely got 18MPG average with a lot of highway, so I could see 18-19 with the ZF.

unclehoser

Old dog, new tricks
Reaction score
Check the next tank, too. Often you'll be off by 1 mpg or so depending on where you fill up, how full you get it, etc.
Averaging a couple of tanks helps even that out.

That being said, my mom's 02 crew-cab Powerstroke with the 4R100 routinely got 18MPG average with a lot of highway, so I could see 18-19 with the ZF.

Roger that! Probably won't get much highway use for a while, just to work & back during the week...about 20 miles a day, plus some errand-running and such. I'm interested to see what it does in the city traffic, too. I'm happy to know that it's not uncommon...thought maybe I fell asleep at the wheel and had a dream!

Cheers...
D

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Is it a regular cab long bed?
That mileage isn't unheard of. Will go down with city driving though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

unclehoser

Old dog, new tricks
Reaction score
Is it a regular cab long bed?
That mileage isn't unheard of. Will go down with city driving though.

It's an extra-cab (cab-and-a-half) with an 8-foot bed. It still beats my '03 F150 gasser with a 5.4 L engine. Trying to get more than 13-14 MPG out of that thing is like pulling teeth...no matter in town or on the highway. Of course, diesel fuel is about 40 cents a gallon pricier than gasoline in this neck of the woods, but it doesn't really matter! Gonna spend money on fuel no matter what! I do expect city MPG to be less, but that's normal. I'm not a hot-rodder, pretty much drive easy and stay out of the throttle unless necessary, and don't stray to far from home.

I'm happy to know that I'm not dreaming! I'll take that 19.5 MPG any day! Thanks for the reply...

Cheers...
D

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
There are a few little things you can do to help it.
Clean ebp tube and sensor.
Clean fpr screens.
Free-er flowing intake.
If you can stand it, run slightly higher tire pressures.
Better oil. (Engine, axles, etc)

unclehoser

Old dog, new tricks
Reaction score
There are a few little things you can do to help it.
Clean ebp tube and sensor.
Clean fpr screens.
Free-er flowing intake.
If you can stand it, run slightly higher tire pressures.
Better oil. (Engine, axles, etc)

Tire pressure is at max for the tires installed, and it came with a K&N setup for air intake. I bought a spare K&N filter so I have one to use & one clean in reserve all the time. It's due for an oil change in about 1K miles, and the gentleman I acquired it from has been using Rotella T every 5K miles for the life of the truck. Is there any better oil you recommend?

The EBP & FPR maintenance will get done at first available opportunity!

Thanks...
D

SebastIDIan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tire pressure is at max for the tires installed, and it came with a K&N setup for air intake. I bought a spare K&N filter so I have one to use & one clean in reserve all the time. It's due for an oil change in about 1K miles, and the gentleman I acquired it from has been using Rotella T every 5K miles for the life of the truck. Is there any better oil you recommend?

The EBP & FPR maintenance will get done at first available opportunity!

Thanks...
D

I swear by Rotella T6 for HEUI engines. From our 3126 cats to my 6.0. Kissed stiction goodbye when I switched.

Just my 2c