It's been fun while it lasted...

unclehoser

Old dog, new tricks
Reaction score
Well, I've gotten a lot of good info here. I can't say enough about the immense volume of knowledge represented on this forum. Sadly, I'm not going to be able to use it much longer. Sad story...

Back in September, I had the opportunity to purchase a '91 F250 from my employer, who was retiring some old company vehicles. I knew that it had transmission issues from the outset. After replacing the glowplugs and rebuilding the fuel returns (learned how here!) I had the engine running like a top. Not so much luck with the trans...

The original E4OD was slipping, and wasn't shifting right at all. When I decided to service it, I pulled the pan and drained a quantity of brown, metallic sludge out. The pan was FULL of metal shavings. "Junk", I said to myself, and went off to pursue other options.

As luck would have it, an acquaintance of mine had a rebuilt E4OD with about 10,000 miles on it laying around from a motor/trans swap in a F350 'short bus' conversion. I bought it for a reasonable price, and inquired of the local trans shop about installing it (I'm not physically able to do that in my driveway...) and agreed on a price for the labor. Bad mistake. The nightmare starts when I go to pick it up and was told, "Well, you're all done but you won't have a speedometer". Seems the 'new' trans was a '92, and had no speedo drive. Of course, the trans has no idea what it's doing now. Shifts all over the place, won't shift at all, downshifts when it should upshift, etc.

Of course, I can only blame myself for not doing the research on the model year changes, but it really pissed me off that the 'professionals' at the trans shop went ahead with the swap knowing that it wouldn't work. Now, I'm stuck with a non-driveable (at least not too fast) truck with another massive amount of labor involved (complete trans gut-out, not to mention R/R) to repair it. I'm done.

I can't justify putting any more cash into a 25-year-old vehicle with an unknown history. It was just supposed to be a 'project' to give me a spare vehicle in case of emergency, or if I needed to pull or haul a large load. So, sadly, we're going to part company. I'll put it on the auction block, suck it up and take the loss, and chalk it up to a learning experience.

I have my eye on a really nice, one-owner, regularly-serviced 2002 F250 with the 7.3 turbo Powerstroke in it, and a !@#$%^&* STICK SHIFT!!! Love the Diesel, but auto trannys can kiss me on the back side!!!

I just wanted to thank everyone here for the advice and knowledge you share. Maybe, soon, I'll catch ya over at the 7.3 Powerstroke forum!

Dave

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.
Can't blame the trans shop too much. Too many people complain that shops won't do exactly what you tell them to. Well, here they have.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sucks but is to be expected with an E40D unfortunately. Don't blame you for wanting to go stick shift after that experience. Had a similar experience with my previous gmc truck that had a 4l60E transmission. Unfortunately that transmission made me get rid of the truck after it had been torn apart 3x.
Sure have been happy with the bulletproof design that the C6 is known for.

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A cheap option that you can do in your house is to swap the speedometer out for a 92 and up one and then wire the trans computer to the speedo like the newer trucks.

Wiring is easy, only 6 wires to hookup (7 if you include the programing wire) and it work with the e40d, cruise and is accurate.

This gets rid of that problematic cable, hard to get gear ratios, easily breakable sender and changes it all to non wear items, all you need is the speedo and front plastic piece for the button holes.

Edit: you do NOT need to remove the dash for this

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A cheap option that you can do in your house is to swap the speedometer out for a 92 and up one and then wire the trans computer to the speedo like the newer trucks.

Wiring is easy, only 6 wires to hookup (7 if you include the programing wire) and it work with the e40d, cruise and is accurate.

This gets rid of that problematic cable, hard to get gear ratios, easily breakable sender and changes it all to non wear items, all you need is the speedo and front plastic piece for the button holes.

Edit: you do NOT need to remove the dash for this

Seriously, I might be all over this. Whole cluster I assume?

To the OP. They should have called you ,BUT, most likly scenario, " Boss, hey swap this guys trans, hurry it up we got lots to do, Tech ,[because a real mechanic would have caught this], ok boss ill bang it out,". Gets to speedo cable," Hey boss, they aint no hole for this cabley thingy".

And on it goes.

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seriously, I might be all over this. Whole cluster I assume?

I only used the speedo and the clear plastic from the 92-97 cluster and gas or diesel clusters work and the plug and as much wire I could get with it.

You have to trim the speedo and make a hole in the back of the cluster for the wiring. One of the lights matches perfectly with the light pipe but the other is off but even being off it still lights up decently. The clear cover/lens needs to be trimmed at the top and sides and I just used a knife heated up by a torch to melt it so the plastic doesn't crack.

Wish I took more pictures of the process but in a few weeks I'll pull it and take some if anyone is interested.

Overall it wasn't hard to do, take your time and you'll have great results, I definitely recommend doing this if your having any speedo cable/gear issues and your tired of trying to fix them. I hated the bouncing speedo and reading way to high when it was cold out with the mechanical one, now no more problems and I also have 6 times to reprogram the new one for different tire sizes at no cost.

Last edited:

rsaltaresjr

Reaction score
I only used the speedo and the clear plastic from the 92-97 cluster and gas or diesel clusters work and the plug and as much wire I could get with it.

You have to trim the speedo and make a hole in the back of the cluster for the wiring. One of the lights matches perfectly with the light pipe but the other is off but even being off it still lights up decently. The clear cover/lens needs to be trimmed at the top and sides and I just used a knife heated up by a torch to melt it so the plastic doesn't crack.

Wish I took more pictures of the process but in a few weeks I'll pull it and take some if anyone is interested.

Overall it wasn't hard to do, take your time and you'll have great results, I definitely recommend doing this if your having any speedo cable/gear issues and your tired of trying to fix them. I hated the bouncing speedo and reading way to high when it was cold out with the mechanical one, now no more problems and I also have 6 times to reprogram the new one for different tire sizes at no cost.
How exactly do you reprogram the speedo for larger tire sizes?

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How exactly do you reprogram the speedo for larger tire sizes?

On the 92-97 trucks there is a wire under the glove box area that you ground and when you turn the key on the cluster will let you put in a new number, it's been a while since I did this so I maybe missing a step. The formula for finding the new number can be found online and you figure out the new number to enter into the speedo.

Definitely interested in this. Take some pics if you get a chance.

I will get some pics as soon as I have free time in the next few weeks.

unclehoser

Old dog, new tricks
Reaction score

That's a neat idea...but how do you get the speed sensor info to the gauge cluster and trans control computer if you have a '92 trans (with no speedo drive) on a '91 truck with no speed sensor on the rear axle? That's my dilemma. Speed sense is from the mechanical drive at the speedo cable where it connects to the trans. No drive at the trans, no info input to the computer. The only way I can see out of the mess is to change the rear axle to a '92 or newer and install new gauges, or gut the trans and install the proper output shaft. Either way, at least in my case, is going to be cost-prohibitive and WAY more work than I have time or facilities to accomplish!

Any more explanation or assistance will be greatly appreciated... you guys are the experts...I'm just an old carpenter with a project!

Cheers!
D.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a neat idea...but how do you get the speed sensor info to the gauge cluster and trans control computer if you have a '92 trans (with no speedo drive) on a '91 truck with no speed sensor on the rear axle? That's my dilemma. Speed sense is from the mechanical drive at the speedo cable where it connects to the trans. No drive at the trans, no info input to the computer. The only way I can see out of the mess is to change the rear axle to a '92 or newer and install new gauges, or gut the trans and install the proper output shaft. Either way, at least in my case, is going to be cost-prohibitive and WAY more work than I have time or facilities to accomplish!

Any more explanation or assistance will be greatly appreciated... you guys are the experts...I'm just an old carpenter with a project!

Cheers!
D.
Are you sure you don't have a speed sensor on the rear axle?

My 88 had one, used for the RABS system. Check for a black connector coming out of the top side of the differential.

unclehoser

Old dog, new tricks
Reaction score
Are you sure you don't have a speed sensor on the rear axle?

My 88 had one, used for the RABS system. Check for a black connector coming out of the top side of the differential.

Trans shop idiot said he checked for that, but I'll do a double-check. Might save my ass! Thanks!!!
D.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One other thought - is it a 4x4?
4x4 trucks have the speedo gear in the transfer case for driving either a cable, cable plus electronic sender(my 88 with cruise did this), or simply an electronic sender(I found this on another 80's vintage gas truck).

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, in 91 they called it an abs sensor, in 92 they called it the differential speed sensor. Exact same part.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online