Is this allison transmission working right?

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I just figured I'd throw in with some info about running a GV in 'manual' mode.
First off, there are a few dont's that the controller protects you from:

1. Overdrive in reverse. If you do this(mainly by leaving it engaged when stopping), the truck will move in reverse with more effort, like you put the brake on.
It will also make bad noises. Don't do this, because you are wearing out the clutch.

2. Overdrive in 4x4. For it to be a problem, you must be in 4x4 on the transfer case, with the hubs locked in(i.e. actually in 4x4). If you manage to engage Overdrive, the truck will shudder violently, and I'm sure you are putting major wear on that clutch.

3. Running at too low speed. Now, this is a mixed bag, and I suspect the 'real' reason for the lockout has to do with how much torque you could put through the GV flooring it in 1st.
I've found that the GV will stay in Overdrive if you roll to a stop with it still engaged, and will stay engaged at least long enough to take off again, wondering why it's feeling sluggish in 2nd(because you are starting in 2nd-over).
If you have it disengaged, turn the switch on, and start moving, it will lock up at some random time, usually by 10-12MPH. It has to build pressure internally, after all.

Also:
You will find plenty of people saying to disengage your GV/not be in double-overdrive when towing.
Still not sure /why/, considering the torque through the GV is relatively low at that point. I'm guessing it has to be to prevent overloading the engine.
Of course, once you put a big turbo and pump on your engine and end up with /lots/ of torque and HP, it's totally doable with a light trailer, especially when hauling at 70MPH. I've done this many times...

I want to point out that /none/ of this is hearsay. I have done each and every one of these things, and(surprisingly enough), my GV hasn't exploded yet.

Also, as another tip, it's recommended that you change your GV fluid every 30K. They specify some odd GM fluid, but I used Royal Purple Synchromax, IIRC. At the time, they were recommending ATF, but have since changed to recommend a special GM gear oil.

So far(last 5 years) I haven't killed it...

Last edited:

Mechanicfingers

Reaction score
Very good info. Yes I don't use it in reverse or 4x4 because my truck is two wheel drive. Now I have a on/off switch wire directly to CV unit because my computer for it was blowing fuses. Not sure why. So the on off I use at like 45 and turn it on . When slowing down I turn it off at 20 mph. I guess I will not turn off at low speed and then take off with it on. I understand it doesn't engage till it has fluid pressure built up. But my truck doesn't shift out of first till like 20 so I guess that is actually perfect because it shuts off at 20 when slowing down . If I got this right with my transmission and gear ratio it should come on about the same. Right now at 65 mph my RPM is 2300 . Sounds a little high . Im not sure what my rear endvgear is but it seems really low. Any suggestions on what ratio I should looking for? 356 maybe 373. It feels like 410 or lower ? I can do a quick ratio test by jacking back of truck and counting revolution s of tire versus driveshaft to get a idea. Im not towing anything soon. In the future I will be. So Im thinking gettingva used reared with proper gear ratio and switching out and putting my old in storage for later use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online