Is this allison transmission working right?

Mechanicfingers

Reaction score
I figured what lock up is for but now I only got four gears on the 545 transmission. The gear vendor should give me over drive. So when I power up gear vendor controller I hear it come on if I select between Manuel and auto I hear solenoid click . But not all the time . And I got a clicking sound coming from firewall sounds like a relay? Need more info on gear vendor operation or how to tell if its working?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The Gear Vendors works when you switch it to manual or auto on the switch. You can choose to use it AFTER you reach about 20 mph because it needs to make hydraulic pressure so it can shift. So start in first gear till you reach bout 20 mph then shift in the gv. You are now in first overdrive or call it second under.. No matter. Now shift to second but take out the gv. Now you are in second. Now shift into gv overdrive. You are now in second overdrive or third under. You can do this in any gear but not first at a full stop. There is no hydraulic pressure to make the gv shift. Now a US gear over under aux trans will split EVERY gear no matter what because its only a gear change trans done by a solenoid shifting the gears. Its much different than the gv trans.

Mechanicfingers

Reaction score
I read one your that said if indicater lights burn out it will not work guess what lights are burned out . Getting new and see if that fixes problem. Also thinking ofvusing on/ off overdrive button on auto shift lever on column for my activation button. Is this a good idea and should I run a on/off switch to turn unit off when slowing down or in reverse.
You must be registered for see images attach

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read one your that said if indicater lights burn out it will not work guess what lights are burned out . Getting new and see if that fixes problem. Also thinking ofvusing on/ off overdrive button on auto shift lever on column for my activation button. Is this a good idea and should I run a on/off switch to turn unit off when slowing down or in reverse.
you see the solenoid with the two red connectors at the end? that's your solenoid to activate your GV. pick one for ground and one for 12v power. put 12v to it over 35mph(45 normally) for testing purposes. it's that simple. before my GV was broken in half, all I had wired to it was a simple push-pull switch to turn it on and off. you can see how I wired mime in the pics.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do not run the gv in manual till you know exactly how it acts , if you do at low speeds you can smoke the cone clutch in short order.
A 545 is only 4 speeds. Nice find. trans will last forever. relatively speaking.

Mechanicfingers

Reaction score
Okay got it . Thank you it was built like this and so I picked it up . it needed some. Work got trans work gears shift . but I got to get that gear vendor working. The bulbs are burned out. In the panel I read that causes it not to work so getting some bulbs to night. See if tomorrow after work I can fire it up. . I call him Frankenstein! ! F250

Mechanicfingers

Reaction score
Thanks towcat I wired like you said works great now . Going my paperwork for dmv on Friday so I can get it on the road now. Thanks everyone for your help. I will being doing many more things to this truck over the next year . All you guys here are very helpful thank you.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thanks towcat I wired like you said works great now . Going my paperwork for dmv on Friday so I can get it on the road now. Thanks everyone for your help. I will being doing many more things to this truck over the next year . All you guys here are very helpful thank you.

You are the reason this forum exists like it does. We are mostly here to help others like we have been helped by others.These are very simple truck engines to keep on the road but.. yours is the first I or probably anyone else has seen with this trans in it. Good luck at DMV and the rig.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you to all of you again ..!
we're not out of the woods yet. we've only determined that things are OK. now, we need to hook your modulator to a regulated vac signal so it will work to it's fullest potential. you need to have a VRV and lines installed and replacement brain for your OD needs to be found and installed. But don't get me wrong, it's good to hear things are mechanically sound. oh yea, your electric kickdown needs to be installed too. we've only just begun :D

Mechanicfingers

Reaction score
So my 545 trans doesn't have a computer hooked up to it or any spot for wiring ? So it doesn't not need it right. I understand the kick down rod and linkage I can fab or junk yard parts to make that work. Also the vacuum line from transmission vacuum pod needs to hook to to IP I can do that also. Now setting vacuum to the right settings for proper operations I can do that also. As far as over drive goes my trans only has four gears right? My Gear vendors unit supplies my overdrive correct therefore I will not need OD on 545 and because it don't have one ?

Mechanicfingers

Reaction score
I also need to set up a cold air intake from air cleaner to radiator support wall. mine does not have anything just round air cleaner. This will help the air be cleaner and coolerfor a proper mix . Correct

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So my 545 trans doesn't have a computer hooked up to it or any spot for wiring ? So it doesn't not need it right. I understand the kick down rod and linkage I can fab or junk yard parts to make that work. Also the vacuum line from transmission vacuum pod needs to hook to to IP I can do that also. Now setting vacuum to the right settings for proper operations I can do that also. As far as over drive goes my trans only has four gears right? My Gear vendors unit supplies my overdrive correct therefore I will not need OD on 545 and because it don't have one ?
you have an electric kickdown for the AT545. in short, the AT545 is a THM 400 with an extra intermediate gear. the AT545 HAS NO OVERDRIVE. the GV is your od.

Mechanicfingers

Reaction score
My IP does not have a vrv on it do i need to get this ? My vacuum line for transmission is hooked to the vacuum pump I guess on the passenger side of motor. I plugged in transmission line at the tee on the firewall . Im guessing that's wrong andvi need this vrv on IP.

Mechanicfingers

Reaction score
And I have no kick down cable on transmission and the throttle cables hooks to injection pump it has a extra hole for a cable it looks like . . The guys that run this setup in buses have just used a cable instead of electronic to make it easier and trouble free .