Is a 6.5 diesel good for a young driver?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
even a small 4 cylinder ecnobox will be kinda tough on your budget.i take it your parents will be buying your insurance? will they be helping with fuel and repair expenses?
depending on how much they let you suffer........er learn lol,though it will feel like suffering.;) it may or not be a wise choice to select a pickup of any type on your budget.plus it depends on how much you want in wallet.if you don't care if your always broke or if you like knowing you'll have a few bucks on hand to by a girl a soda once in a while.;)
take a look at some little cars and test drive them before you through the idea out.sometimes we need to start off with what works better for us than we want to drive.though if you've got parents willing to help you out with fuel and repairs,then go at it.just know you'll always feel broke because compared to 40mpg any less is going to sting your monthly budget and you'll find yourself with no spare $ left after the constant repairs that come with vehicles of the early 90's.

this is why i preach the I-6's ive owned several of them, and the only major issue ive had was those GD fiber cam gears.
besides that, they have always treated me and my wallet good.
my first ride was a 144" powered 60 Ranchero.
but i did put a good amount of work into it before i turned 16.
but for $100 bucks, i couldnt pass it up.
and 25 years later, im still buying junkers and fixing them :D

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
let's try this again......IT IS MY CALL. why? because I run this site.
since a subtle hint doesn't work with you, let me spell it out...... just because someone else doesn't agree with you that "GM's are junk" doesn't make their views less valuable than yours. you're the first person in this thread who has started with attacking the person posting rather than presenting of fact. you don't like GM diesels. OK, we get it. Now let the ones who like them carry on a civil discussion. This is you final warning. Next time I have to address this, you will get a vacation.

TowCat my comment was to what you said about me hence why I said "you don't know me"
I've seen 6.5s that held up but it took money do make them dependable so I'm not saying there all junk just not the right engine for a 16 YO.

Was Not intending for my post to be "attacking" but more to show the Op
the problems etc.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Umm No they suck
I haven't owned a 6.2-6.5 diesel but I've seen the failures.....
heresay.

Show away little buddy.
inflamatory comment.

TowCat my comment was to what you said about me hence why I said "you don't know me"
I've seen 6.5s that held up but it took money do make them dependable so I'm not saying there all junk just not the right engine for a 16 YO.

Was Not intending for my post to be "attacking" but more to show the Op
the problems etc.
you have stated your opinion more than once in this thread already. let him make up his own mind preferably with input for OTHERS. maybe he has a line on a non-abused GM diesel that he can afford? or maybe he's seen how easy it is to deal with a broken glowplug on a GM diesel and that peace of mind appeals to him? maybe the motor's tolerance to being used by multiple operators who know nothing about how to drive and survive in conditions of serious neglect?
here's my final suggestion to you before you get a vacation. before you have the impulse to let your opinions flow.....STOP AND ASK YOURSELF....1) am i putting forward new fact? 2) am I rehashing a previous statement? 3) can it be taken as a personal attack?
if the answer is "yes" to any of the three questions, STOP AND DO NOT CONTINUE POSTING.
all you're achieving is digging a deeper hole for yourself.
i'll spare you the agony of the next question. no. this board is not a democracy. never has been.

Ethanlogan99

Reaction score
this is why i preach the I-6's ive owned several of them, and the only major issue ive had was those GD fiber cam gears.
besides that, they have always treated me and my wallet good.
my first ride was a 144" powered 60 Ranchero.
but i did put a good amount of work into it before i turned 16.
but for $100 bucks, i couldnt pass it up.
and 25 years later, im still buying junkers and fixing them :D

We actually had a 84 f150 with the straight 6 in it, one of the best motors ever. The body was so rough it would cost more than the truck was worth to fix it.

Ethanlogan99

Reaction score
I've been looking at the older ford idi's and 6.5's cause they get good fuel mileage and are cheap as heck to fix. I do have a need for a truck. I won't tow anything to heavy, but to big for a Tacoma. I'm was leaning on the 6.5's cause of the ability to get tunes for it. My parents will pay for insurance, but I will pay for fuel and repairs, and any other performance parts. I was thinking I could get a 1/2 ton with the 6.5 in it for great mpg.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
seems like youre dead set on a diesel.
atleast you know what you want.
stay away from powerstrokes tho, they WILL kill your wallet.
they are awesome trucks, but everytime they need work, its a bit of coin.
i think the only parts that are less than 200 bucks are a thermostat, rad hoses, oah and a belt lol
save that dream for when you have a better job.

good luck! and READ the IDI tech articles before you buy an IDI. very informative.

Ethanlogan99

Reaction score
seems like youre dead set on a diesel.
atleast you know what you want.
stay away from powerstrokes tho, they WILL kill your wallet.
they are awesome trucks, but everytime they need work, its a bit of coin.
i think the only parts that are less than 200 bucks are a thermostat, rad hoses, oah and a belt lol
save that dream for when you have a better job.

good luck! and READ the IDI tech articles before you buy an IDI. very informative.

Yeah I would like a diesel, preferably a cummins, but I thought that a 6.5 in a half ton would get great mileage as compared to 14 in our old f150. Parts are cheap too.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Harder to find but you can get a Tahoe or suburban with the 6.5.
Now if you really want something bulletproof, find a old military blazer or m1008.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

The_88_lariat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my opinion i think a 7.3/6.9 idi truck would be better i think they are more durable than the GM diesel of that generation and are as cheap as far as parts go i love mine just do your research on different forums talk to some people and see what suits you best for your needs and budget. just see what people love/hate about the gm 6.5 and 6.2 the ford 6.9/7.3 idi or psd and a dodge cummins, best of luck to you

Ethanlogan99

Reaction score
In my opinion i think a 7.3/6.9 idi truck would be better i think they are more durable than the GM diesel of that generation and are as cheap as far as parts go i love mine just do your research on different forums talk to some people and see what suits you best for your needs and budget. just see what people love/hate about the gm 6.5 and 6.2 the ford 6.9/7.3 idi or psd and a dodge cummins, best of luck to you

Thank you sir, I would love a psd or cummins, but I feel like those would be out of the question financially. I would really like one though. I have looked at the old ford idi's, but I think I've only found one 6.9 and it was beat up. I have found a lot of 7.3's but I was leaning towards the 6.5 because of the factory turbocharger already on it. They seem to have more performance parts for it too.

Ethanlogan99

Reaction score
Harder to find but you can get a Tahoe or suburban with the 6.5.
Now if you really want something bulletproof, find a old military blazer or m1008.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I've looked at the m1008's. Aren't they geared really high though? As far as the suburban goes I defiantly like them. They look really good lifted, but that's not the most important thing I guess.

The_88_lariat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was basically in the same boat as you I'm only 20 I wanted a cummins 7.3or6.0 psd decided I didn't want to finace because if anything broke I could fix it soon so I thought well maybe a cummins 12v so I looked for about a month but every 12v had 280000+ miles and beat up and wanted 7000+ I couldn't afford it my boss had a 7.3idi and knows them real well (I'm a service manager at a local repair shop so using the lifts are nice) and I started doing research and found there pretty awesome. I looked for a month and found my now current truck which I love so just see what you want/afford and wait for a good one don't rush anything take your time know what to look for and I'm sure you will be happy with what every you end up with.

P.s when you find something let me know I want to see it

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online