Is a 6.5 diesel good for a young driver?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
In general a cummins is more expensive than a powerstroke. And I'm not talking just maintenance.
Correct on the year range.
The powerstroke isn't too bad. That's if you do need injectors.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Oh yeah.... also wanted to mention... guess what engine is powering our fighting forces hmmwv's....

Ethanlogan99

Reaction score
Oh yeah.... also wanted to mention... guess what engine is powering our fighting forces hmmwv's....

6.5's power them. That's kinda what I was thinking when I was debating about buying one. The cummins is more expensive than the powerstroke? I would like a powerstroke, but like I said I'm afraid everything I would make would go into that, and I would have nothing to put back.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Yup. At least everywhere I've looked, Dodges are always at least twice the asking price compared to a Ford.
I got my psd for $1800. I've put two transfer cases, transmission, glowplugs, fuel pump, and waterpump into. I've done some "performance stuff" to it, but I don't consider that into cost of ownership.
Coming up on 220k miles, still factory injectors.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Show away little buddy.
ease up. until you have personal experience. it's all heresay.
last time I check you're one of those snot dripping kids too.
GM diesels are kings of fuel economy. for a new driver, they are the most gasserlike in drivability.
don't overheat one and don't overload it and it will treat you fine.
and yes, I've even spit the crank out the bottom once too and it was all my fault.
not everyone needs a balls to the wall heavy hauler for their first truck.

Ethanlogan99

Reaction score
Yup. At least everywhere I've looked, Dodges are always at least twice the asking price compared to a Ford.
I got my psd for $1800. I've put two transfer cases, transmission, glowplugs, fuel pump, and waterpump into. I've done some "performance stuff" to it, but I don't consider that into cost of ownership.
Coming up on 220k miles, still factory injectors.

would you say a 7.3 psd would be a better bet? or stick with a 6.5?

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Maybe I am Towcat maybe I'm not.
not your call as you don't know me.

Op Search through the 6.5 forums take note of the engine failures etc now look through the the ford PSD forums yes they have problems no truck/engine is perfect all have there problems base your decisions off your searching.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
Working on a fleet of 6.5, never seen a crank failure. Only heard of them. Mainly caused by neglect. Bad injectors or faulty balancer. The electronic engines aren't to bad. Pumps run around 850 bucks. My 6.5 had 249000 miles and never been opened up for anything. It is on its third pump. They are not powerhouses. Built for fuel mileage. 93 is best year in my mind. First year for turbo, but still mechanical pump. 94 started electronics. If left stock and maintenance is kept up with they will last. Have had a few with head gasket issues. Not to bad to fix.

many of us here work with 6.5

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Working on a fleet of 6.5, never seen a crank failure. Only heard of them. Mainly caused by neglect. Bad injectors or faulty balancer. The electronic engines aren't to bad. Pumps run around 850 bucks. My 6.5 had 249000 miles and never been opened up for anything. It is on its third pump. They are not powerhouses. Built for fuel mileage. 93 is best year in my mind. First year for turbo, but still mechanical pump. 94 started electronics. If left stock and maintenance is kept up with they will last. Have had a few with head gasket issues. Not to bad to fix.

many of us here work with 6.5
mime's the furthest thing from stock :D it's been known to embarrass a few Duramaxes too. almost done putting in a air to water IC to see how much more quickly the bottom end gets spit out :D

Attachments

• 83gmc2500b.jpg
    83gmc2500b.jpg
    530.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 83gmc2500a.jpg
    83gmc2500a.jpg
    531.4 KB · Views: 30

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
But that's not a practical setup for first truck. Especially with a6.5. Yes they can hold up if built right. He'll look at Heath diesels record holder

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe I am Towcat maybe I'm not.
not your call as you don't know me.
let's try this again......IT IS MY CALL. why? because I run this site.
since a subtle hint doesn't work with you, let me spell it out...... just because someone else doesn't agree with you that "GM's are junk" doesn't make their views less valuable than yours. you're the first person in this thread who has started with attacking the person posting rather than presenting of fact. you don't like GM diesels. OK, we get it. Now let the ones who like them carry on a civil discussion. This is you final warning. Next time I have to address this, you will get a vacation.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
to the OP, it seems like youre a level headed individual for a kid.
keep up the good work.
i have a 16 year old, he's been around all kinds of hotrods muscle cars and ford diesels.
i am a firm believer that Chevys are junk, but thats my opinion, and i only have experience with gasser chevys.
im also a biased F series owner for over 20 years.
i would tell you that get what you can afford.
find something you wont have issues with.

this is what i told my kid.
he found a 61 F100. I-6 and a 4 speed.
SUPER easy to work on, decent fuel economy, and parts are super cheap.
you dont need a diesel for your first rig, but if thats your choice, i wont be the one to hold you back.

everyone wants to have a bad@$$ rig as a first vehicle, but as i told my son, plan on wrecking your first vehicle.

he loves his truck. and he's almost ready to start driving it!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But that's not a practical setup for first truck. Especially with a6.5. Yes they can hold up if built right. He'll look at Heath diesels record holder
Corey- that's the motor a broke a crank on. the same one I completely admitted that it was on me. :D
sleep schedule is completely jacked up right now. everything (sleep/wake) is being timed on the inbound storm front. I have a heavy tow to do before it hits. :O

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is this a good vehicle for a 16 year old that makes 350$ a month?

even a small 4 cylinder ecnobox will be kinda tough on your budget.i take it your parents will be buying your insurance? will they be helping with fuel and repair expenses?
depending on how much they let you suffer........er learn lol,though it will feel like suffering.;) it may or not be a wise choice to select a pickup of any type on your budget.plus it depends on how much you want in wallet.if you don't care if your always broke or if you like knowing you'll have a few bucks on hand to by a girl a soda once in a while.;)
take a look at some little cars and test drive them before you through the idea out.sometimes we need to start off with what works better for us than we want to drive.though if you've got parents willing to help you out with fuel and repairs,then go at it.just know you'll always feel broke because compared to 40mpg any less is going to sting your monthly budget and you'll find yourself with no spare $ left after the constant repairs that come with vehicles of the early 90's.