IP steel supply line ***

krawlr

Yup, that's me
Reaction score
So here's the line from the filter to the IP. The parts of the fittings still on the pump and filter housing are compression style. But then they have this stuff:

You must be registered for see images

So the rubber works like a ferrule? What do I need to seal this back up correctly? Just looks all wrong to me. Or should I just make a new steel line with compression fittings? Also notice the missing chunk off the flared end of the tube. :eek:

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know if the broken end of the flared fitting will hurt anything. I know it would be really bad if any metal is coming off of it. I have fought with those rubber seals...man they are a pain,a nd yes you do need them. You could try making your own seal out of a piece of rubber fuel hose, but you will probably have to wind up going to IH and getting a new one. Even at that it's no picnic getting the flare nut to bite. If you are good enough with metal piping to bend a new one,aI don't see why you shouldn't do it...but be aware, theya re very precisely engineered and there isn't much room for any kind of error before it won't fit. This part is about $90 from IH and you'll be real lucky if they even have it. FWIW, I have teh original fittings connected with a rubber fuel hose in the middle on my truck.

bikepilot

Turbo IDI
Reaction score
I was able to re-use mine (just smeared it with a little grease) when I put a new IP on, no leaks so far. It does seem like a really stupid way to seal a metal line. Thankfully it doesn't have to hold much pressure.

good luck

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
By all rights you should replace it. But I'd bet you coud get by, by just replacing the rubber 0-ring seal. The flare really doesn't do any sealing.

I wonder where that piece that broke off went?

krawlr

Yup, that's me
Reaction score
So that is how it goes together? :confused: That's how the factory does it? ;Really Looks like something someone cobbled together with parts from the junk drawer. Oh well, I guess I'll use fresh chunks of hose for seals.

I'm hoping that missing chunk of tube found a dark corner to harmlessly hide in the IP housing. But more likely I'll end up replacing a trashed IP on the side of the highway 2 states away.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
That is how it was designed. The only reason I can come up with is maybe the injection pump creates some vibration and a compression fitting wouldn't stay tight. Other than that its seems like a bad design to me also. Mine has never leaked or caused a problem.... Yet.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey krawler, dont use hose in place of the rubber, it will deteriorate and leak very bad, done it on john deere equipt years ago, they call those seals olives, if you want to stay with a stock line pm me with your address and I will send you a nice one,You will need to get the seals tho, go to a fuel pump shop, they should have them. I tried to get them at ford once and got a really well rehearsed dumb look. I am going to stainless braided on my truck ;Sweet

krawlr

Yup, that's me
Reaction score
typ4 said:
Hey krawler, dont use hose in place of the rubber, it will deteriorate and leak very bad, done it on john deere equipt years ago, they call those seals olives, if you want to stay with a stock line pm me with your address and I will send you a nice one,You will need to get the seals tho, go to a fuel pump shop, they should have them. I tried to get them at ford once and got a really well rehearsed dumb look. I am going to stainless braided on my truck ;Sweet

I was about to ask what the correct name was. I kinda like the braided hose idea if this is all about dealing with vibration.

So even fuel hose made for gasoline will break down? If so, my list just got longer. :cry:

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A few years ago, I bought that same line, seals and all, at Ford garage for about $18.

Prior to that, I bought a bag with about a dozen of the seals for something like $2.

Turned out that the line was split right at the fitting.

If I were in this situation again, I would go braided stainless.

Prices on this stuff have escalated since these trucks have become antiques.

rancherman84

P.E.R.F.E.C.T!
Reaction score
you can get those olives at any caseih dealer also,the old IH ag equipment used the same set up on fuel lines.
as a matter of fact i resealed my whole fuel system from our parts department,o-rings,olives,return lines,etc.
i have seen those olives get so ******* a 30+ year old tractor that i had to use the torch to melt it out of the brass fitting -cuss ,then install the new ones

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
MIDNIGHT RIDER said:
A few years ago, I bought that same line, seals and all, at Ford garage for about $18.

Prior to that, I bought a bag with about a dozen of the seals for something like $2.

Turned out that the line was split right at the fitting.

If I were in this situation again, I would go braided stainless.

Prices on this stuff have escalated since these trucks have become antiques.

$2 for a bag of seals.... Wow, I just bought one at the local IH dealer ....for over $7. Ouch -cuss

-----------Robert

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im thinkin we should chip in and get some seals from midnite and ship them around good spare items.. I too have had to cook them out of the nut, they taste bad no matter mhat kind of hot sauce you put on em LOL

highest_vision

Reqistered User
Reaction score
Um, I bought 2 from the dealer maybe 6 mos ago for a couple dollars or so. E3TZ-9K260-A, but what matters is the type heighth ID and OD of the seal. Or your line/nut.
James

robertoh

Robertoh
Reaction score
Hi---the pipe is designed like that to prevent vibrations breaking it ;Sweet --the rubber pipes give it room to move-- :Sly pieces of 5/16th inch-thinwall hose can be got at most refrigeration supply warehouses :D ---as well as dealerships-parts :puke: .bccanuk:peelout ;Sweet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RustyNail351