IP Fuel Leak...

TBigLug

I Miss U Baby Girl
Reaction score
1993 Dodge D-250, Cummins, Auto.

I have fuel leaking out of my IP. PO attached a hose to it and in 33 miles it only leaks about two ounces of fuel but what would cause this? He saud something about a bad O-ring down in the pump. Any ideas?

You must be registered for see images attach

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
The long and short...the IP is probably old and in need of a rebuild. The parts are cheap and if you have the tools, time, and patience it can be done at home. There are many little springs and O-rings inside the pump and if one is going bad chances are good that others are weak and or failed as well.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
That one might be the return line (can't remember now I had several apart but seems it was too long ago for Me) and I think it uses a copper washer not a O-ring.
Anyway it is fairly easy to do all the seals on this IP's, but You MUST keep count of all parts where they go and how they go or things will turn bad. I did mine but also made My mistakes and got lucky then learned how to do it right. Kit will cost around $18 from most FI shops.
Also You should consider using a good fuel additive (for every tank) if You don't do this already, seems to extend the life of the seals. I use marine 2 stroke engine oil the ashless version and some PS on top of that during winter.

TBigLug

I Miss U Baby Girl
Reaction score
Hmmm, is there a website with a summary of how to disassemble and replace these seals and such? Maybe an exploded diagram or something?

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Yes there is, step by step. I don't know if it is allowed here but the site DTR and their first gen cummins section is very complete and will help You do almost everything on this engines.

Like I said be very careful and remember they way everything should go back, pictures are also very helpful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmustang1965

Members online

No members online now.