Installing 7.3 IDI into E350 Cutaway van: Tough Clearance Issues

VanDiesel

Reaction score
Cut the sheetmetal crossover on the front and either use a cut down hoist as I did here or elevate the van in the front. I installed this 7.3 IDI with no helpers, just myself, and it aligned with the transmission. Injection pump and lines on, power steering is hung off to one side and transmission cooler as well. Afterwards drove it 10K across country and back with no issues. Engine was bought stripped and had been laying on its side in a farmer's field. Tested and got it running before installing it.

You must be registered for see images attach

hondo78

Reaction score
I also cut the core support, then unbolted the body mounts leaving the back two and jacked up the front of the body to gain an extra 5" of vertical clearance. I'd likely lift the body off 2' if I did another Turbo Diesel replacement, the dealership in my area does it this way for F350's and E350's alike, saves hours of time and makes it a one tech job.

VanDiesel

Reaction score
I couldn't lift the body due to ceiling height limitations in a car garage in a home. I even had to use a set of low profile tires installed on 16 inch rims to get it in past the garage door clearance.

Bluebird makes engine hoists, and the model I have is the regular version. However, their manual shows a specialized van hoist with a shorter pillar and gives the dimensions. I cut off just that amount to make it the shorter van version, using a cutoff wheel tool. There is still adequate height, with the Harbor Freight replacement ram I used, to remove small and big block engines in the usual way, i.e. mid-sixties muscle cars.

BTW this engine cost $180 for a long block and measured mid-400 compression on all cylinders. Supposedly it was from a lumber truck that slid down an embankment and overturned.

Last edited:

hondo78

Reaction score
Height is always an issue in a garage, I have also spotted a modified bumper lift unit lift a 7.3 straight up, and rolled straight out the front. Great score on the engine, that is a deal.

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Sorry, gents; been distracted with another vehicle.... missed y'all, really!

Chain MUST be as short and straight-across as possible.

Hoist will try to push up on body.... you WILL smack/scrape the oil pan against that lower brace, but that's structural. No moleste!

It CAN be done, but it's BRUTAL!!!!!!!!!