inputs to control turbo

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
Been gone for a while. I have previously been in the idi forum. I have traded the idi to my dad for a 92 12 valve. I have also recently bought an 04 4x4 crewcab 6.0. I eventually plan to swap the 5.9 into the 04. When I do I was thinking why not go vgt on the 12 valve. I will already have the 6.0 turbo. I have contacted fleece performance and they basically told me to forget the idea and buy a vgt off of a cummins. I am looking to see if I can figure out what inputs the pcm on the 6.0 uses to control vane positioning and how I could mimic them on the 12 valve.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I seen a way to do it with a ardunio.
The pneumatic is the way to go.
Look on the tube on 12v vgt, some good examples.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
when you are saying pneumatic are you referring to simply using boost to open/close the vanes. This would essentially turn the vanes into a wastegate. If I am understanding arduino correctly it would simply be a microprocessor that would replace the pcm and I would have to write my own programming. I see no reason to reinvent the wheel if the ford pcm would control the vanes perfectly fine and it is already mounted and wired into the truck. Sorry I really do appreciate the help and im not just writing your opinion off.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Yes, pneumatic uses boost and drive pressure.
I just think you would have problems trying to use the 6.0 PCM.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I see problems trying to use the 6.0 PCM to control just the vanes. IIRC, it uses a bunch of inputs, throttle position, backpressure, load, rpm, probably more as well.

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would be more effort then it is worth to try and get this turbo to work. You would have to wire up a dummy can circut for just the turbo. Inputs to the turbo are basically everything, the pcm is going to be watching almost all sensors to determine where the vanes are. Some direct obvious ones that come to mind are EBP, throttle position, ECT, IAT EGR position, and of course map. Bottom line is probably not a good idea, especially if someone has already found another way to make it work. Where it my fummins swap truck I would simply sell off the 6.0 to recoup some money, then possibly go with a large well speced wastegated turbo already set up for a 12v. with the proper fuel work and engine fortifying it would run well, but tis america, so all up to you buddy. Another possibility is to simply wire something to the vane controller, it runs off a 5volt circut, but you could manaully control the vanes as its only a 2 wire solenoid.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Use a d Max Turbo, at least it will bolt up.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Though he's no longer with us.
Now there's a few options for controlling the vgt turbos.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
whats the easiest/cheapest way to control this thing?
i actually have a bran new unit sitting in my parts container.
would love to throw it on an IDI. ;Sweet

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Cheapest would be pneumatic, a little more playing with it will be needed to get it just right.
Next would be a arduino.
Then the fleece and BANSHEE-II. These would be easiest, but most expensive.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larrymac