injector swap went horribly wrong, now what?

Ilovejunk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
okay so my truck developed a pretty pronounced skip yesterday on the way home from work. popped the hood when i got home see fuel leak around rear injector on driver side, loosened the line a touch and retightened, no change.

figured ok, i'll throw a spare injector in today when i got some time at work, no biggy, got a new return line kit to put on anyway, as my old ones are bout due anyhow.

well get some time, pull the line off unscrew the injector and pull it out and oh god, what have i done now?

You must be registered for see images attach

****! THATS NOT RIGHT, i have tried everything i can think of off the top of my head to get the rest of the injector out, to no avail, its definitely one of those days, this shoulda been a 20 min. fix, but noooo, i havent gotten kicked in the nuts hard enough lately so karma sent me this.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Trying to remember the process, but I believe you can grind the threads off the injector and screw it back in so the pieces go back together and it should break loose.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup, grind the big threads off, then screw it back into the nozzle parts, keep screwing in and pulling up, if the nozzle is coated with carbon it will come up hard, PB Blaster is a good lube to help it out. Flood it, won't hurt anything.

Be sure the copper washer comes out also or make sure you remove it, don't want double washers in when you replace the injector.

gandalf

Reaction score
You are a far cry from being the first to have this happen. The fix is actually pretty easy. You simply unscrewed the two halves of the injector. You need to screw them together again.

Take the old injector and grind the threads off so that it will slide down the borehole. Screw it into the stuck portion, and keep twisting until the stuck portion breaks loose. Then simply pull it out.

And a picture.

attachment.php

EDIT: Well, damn. This is a tough crown to beat. It took me too long to find the picture. However, there is your process. One of the most important parts of the process is what Oldbull mentioned. Be sure to get the copper washer out.

Attachments

• DSCF7687.JPG
    DSCF7687.JPG
    846.9 KB · Views: 113

Ilovejunk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats kinda the idea i was gettin in my head, good to hear confirmation though before you take a grinder to parts.

thanks for the advice guys, i got it out, now just gotta fish out the copper gasket and clean the bore up some, looks like the old copper seal wasnt doin its job, its a mess in there.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
Sometimes u can bring that cylinder to TDC remove the glowplugs and hit it with compressed air. It can blow it out along with debre that u may knock loose.

A day late and a dollar short on the response LOL
At least you revitalized one from this year ;Sweet