injector pump swap problem

whitehorse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so I bought a 87 6.9 for 300 bucks after the crank broke in my 7.3. It was reman from Ford at one time. I cleaned it up, put my stuff on it....injectors and pump. Now that it's done and installed, I'm not getting any fuel out of pump. I can't get a break here lately. I swapped to a facet fuel pump, would that do something the the injector pump?

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First, make sure you are getting fuel /to/ the IP. Then, make sure you are getting power to the FSS - without that, you'll get nothing.

Crack all 8 lines at the injector, and make sure to crank with the throttle floored. If you aren't seeing fuel within 60 seconds of cranking(in 3 20-second bursts), then we go onto more troubleshooting.

whitehorse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't understand how it could go bad from pulling it off a engine and putting it on the other one under my carport. I have power to the solenoids. I can hear them click.I guess it may be time for a moose pump to go with these moose sticks...

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't understand how it could go bad from pulling it off a engine and putting it on the other one under my carport. I have power to the solenoids. I can hear them click.I guess it may be time for a moose pump to go with these moose sticks...

Chances are you just need a lot of bleeding, air somewhere. You had to remove all the hard lines from the IP when removing it, right? In which case, those lines will all need to be filled again, which takes quite a while. If you can swap the pump with all the hardlines still attached, it saves a lot of priming.

whitehorse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes that's what I did, removed it with the hard lines attached. I have a electric fuel pump so that should eliminate any air problems I would think....thanks for your replies...

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes that's what I did, removed it with the hard lines attached. I have a electric fuel pump so that should eliminate any air problems I would think....thanks for your replies...
Did you bleed the air out of the line going to the IP?
The electric pump won't really 'push' fuel through the IP without cranking - there's a positive displacement pump right at the input side of the IP, which obviously won't be spinning without cranking.