Injector pump adjustment

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Well another need for some knowledge here.
Been runnin' the IP on the marks on the IP and timing gear cover.
Truck runs really good...like new. BUT when I start her up on a cold start it is so noisy that if I am in the engine compartment, it is extremly loud to the point that ya better have some earplugs in.
I stopped at the shop that services diesels and was going to set up a time to get her dialed in. You wont believe this. He doesn't time them due to cetane ratings and equipment age that he had.:***: So he just "earballs" them.:eek: So much for that. Anywho, need to know which way to rotate the pump to retard it a bit, as even when warmed up to operating temp she still is a bit loud. But on the same note, I have only heard a 6.9L on an 86 for comparison and the sound posts over there. If y'all thinks she needs to be 'tarded a bit I would agree, as that shop was my only local place to get here timed up.

Thanks,

Ron:D

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What you are hearing on a cold start is the electric timing advance and as soon as the water temp reaches a certain temp it will kick off. If you are not having any trouble starting it and it is fairly quite after warming up I would not have it retimed, you will only be hurting the preformance. Don't judge a 7.3 by a 6.9, I have had both and they sound different, my 7.3 is louder than the 6.9 was......... Jim

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
Jim,
I did have 2 days last week that it gave me some fits on startup and would die out after a couple of seconds then would surge on second start then smooth out after 60-90 seconds. Found no leaks with the fuel system. What I am not sure of is should the 7.3 be that loud on startup that is ear deafening? When I relaced the IP it was the original and had well over 200k on it. So I know that it was retarded due to its age and was pretty quiet. I like the power she has now but I don't want to cook things if it is too advanced and only have the water temp to watch. No pyro yet due to the cost. Got a lead foot and trying to slow myself down to the speed of the ole gal:peelout

Thanks

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A properly timed 7.3 is loud as hell when cold. If your running with the static marks aligned, it would be pretty unusual to see a pump in that configuration too far advanced. Most of th time the pujmp mark is about 1/8 to 1/4 to the left of the housing mark when it is adjusted properly. If the loudness bothers you, pull the electrical connection torwards the aircleaner side of the pump so the cold idle advance will not kick in. This should quiet it down some. Bring it to Ohio in July, and I'll time it for you.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
The noise doesn't bother me. She sounds off like shes' gotta pair:love:
Sounds like a real mans truck if ya know what I mean. I am still learning bout the nature of the beast and since shes got 262k on her I don't want the run to end prematurely with piston goodies in the pan. The ole gal will be at the meet in July as I am proud as hel of her:D :rock:
I just haven't had the experience of listening to a good runnin 7.3 and wanted to make sure.

Thanks

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Best to have Mel do it in July... but until then this is how I did it by ear.

Get truck warm (normal op temp - meaning no timing advance activated) then run her down the road get her up to 2500 rpm if she sounds like she has got the gasoline detonation like when pulling a hill in a gasser then back it off a smidgen then run her again, take her to just under the detonation sound. You tip the top of the pump to the passengers side to advance and towards the driver's side to retard. When ever I had the pump off and did it this way then took it to the shop they always said - yer good to go - she's right in the specs. Key is to listen to the engine it will tell you when it's too far, also under light throttle she will trail a little black smoke if advanced too far. It's not something that I would recommend for the newbie to the IDI world but if just listen closely (and pay attention to the exhaust pipe) you'll get it.

But again take Mel up on his offer to time it in July.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
Travis,
No smoke seen so far. It is probably pretty close, but I do get a little knock while cruising at that rpm range. I will try retarding it just a smidge and she what she does.:smash: :D
I will definelty take Mel up on his offer.

Thanks,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online