Injector knock with WMO?

discbrks

Reaction score
I noticed an injector knock at idle the other day. Goes away right off idle. I was running my 33% wmo/ 66% #2 mix. Swapped to front tank (straight #2), knock goes away. This past weekend I mixed a stronger wmo mix (50/50) and drove it for the first time today. Again there is a slight injector knock. Anyone else experienced this? It may be unrelated to wmo... dunno. I changed the injectors a few weeks ago to G codes, could that have something to do with it? Its strange that it comes & goes.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sounds like an injector has a bad spring causing the timing on that cylinder to be off enough to cause this knock. Did you "test" the new "G" code injectors before you installed them???

discbrks

Reaction score
Did you "test" the new "G" code injectors before you installed them??

Of course not - that would have made sense. No shop around here even wants to talk about the 'old' diesels. Anyone that I ask about setting the timing says "I'll have to plug it into my scanner"... very frustrating. Short of building my own injector tester and pulling all 8 back out, is there another way to check?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sure is... Get the truck warmed up and making the knock... Then loosen each injector hard line about 1/2 turn at the injector. You will hear the motor starting to miss. Tighten up and move on till you find the possible bad cylinder. Careful now, the diesel is under high pressure and can cut a finger easily. I have never known anyone to have that happen but it is possible..