Increasing braking power on a 2500HD

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a buddy with a 2001 2500HD pickup. 6.6 Duramax, Allison tranny. He hauls a heavy camper and complains that the brakes are "scary" with all that weight. Do any of you have experience putting in hydroboost power assist units to increase braking? I read somewhere that you can use the innards out of an Astro Van. A friend tells me that the system on the HD3500 would likely fit. Any advice would be appreciated!

VALKYRIES

Reaction score
to increase brakeing?

[FONT="Times New Roman Will try this? I will put the idea out and someone else can say yes or no? Is he able to add an exhaust brake?

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haven't considered that yet. I thought it would be simple to swap in a hydro unit from a larger truck. Judging by the response here, there's not many guys with any experience with doing this kind of thing on Chevies. The Ford guys do it often on their rigs and there's lots of info on it. :dunno :confused:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
monte-
it's a non-issue with chevy due to the fact that it's standard equipment on 1ton and up models and any model with a diesel. Why your friend doesn't have it on his truck baffles me. It's like taking a huge step back.
I'd suggest a hd3500 just to be sure it will have a hydro, but even if it's a 1ton it should.
good luck.

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Towcat,

Just thought I'd check here for anyone with experience swapping this out before doing anything on my buddy's truck. Thanks for the info.

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
I've been absent for a while so I just saw this. Don't really have anything to add. I thought all the HD's with Dmax had hydro. :dunno My '06 3500 has it and stops with good authority.

Tom

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online