In retrospect,,,,,,

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So ,too all, if you are installing a different engine, even a low mile one, and your coworker who is also an IDI guy says, "now would be a good time to reseal the oil cooler" . DO IT. I didnt and it is now leaking till it gets warm. AAARRRRGGGHHH.

Also, Any interest in new SMF bolts made correctly if I have them manufactured since no one has them.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Haha I'm always "recommending" stuff like that. Most don't listen and say "naw, I don't have money for that." Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Trevtron

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How many miles have any of y'all had on your oil cooler before they needed to be serviced? I have 104k on mine and noticed some oil weeping from the front header, I've read that my 83 has 6 o-rings vs 4

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So ,too all, if you are installing a different engine, even a low mile one, and your coworker who is also an IDI guy says, "now would be a good time to reseal the oil cooler" . DO IT. I didnt and it is now leaking till it gets warm. AAARRRRGGGHHH.

Also, Any interest in new SMF bolts made correctly if I have them manufactured since no one has them.
interested in the bolts.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just went and bought a press. ONe of the reasons was to make sure the oil coolers go back together good....

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suck part is I stock cooler kits. Oh well.
And I can leave the front header on and do it in the truck in under 2 hours.
Takes the longest to properly scrape the gaskets and get the oil/coolant mix out of your hair.lol

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Never enough time nor money to do the job correctly but... Sure as hell is money and time to redo a failed job... How the hell does that work out I just don't know. Sorry russ.. We have all been there too. In my 37 Cord engine and trans restoration I have to wait till its COMPLETELY done. Reason is the front drive axles require the upper and lower king pin BEARINGS to be removed. Its nearly impossible to install the trans after the engine is in the car. So I patiently wait on parts and money oh and on time.. Still hacking up crap from this plague I have had forever.. I get over it and in a day or two it comes back.. Its like herpys.. you think your over it and it comes back.. The gift that keeps on giving...a

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Special head on the bolts and length. Ford has a part number but there are none in stock anywhere.

Cooler reseal is no biggie, in comparison to what I do everyday there is miles of room to work. AND I have done 4wd and 2wd trucks and never jacked up the engine or removed the steering shaft, so easy peasy. That said I likely just effed myself.lol

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Takes the longest to properly scrape the gaskets and get the oil/coolant mix out of your hair.lol

yeah, scraping the gaskets from the block at those locations is not any fun at all. And anybody reading this thread that has the heads off their motor for whatever reason, reseal the oil cooler while the heads are off. Makes it waaaaaaaaaaaaay easier!

Last edited:

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the info for the bolts that LuK sent me if you need it Russ. They are a little oddball. I looked all over for them because I broke one on Friday night.