IDI flexplate CAN NOT FIND

Austinfee

Reaction score
I have a 1990 idiT with a e4od. My flex plate "spacer" broke and I cannot find one anywhere. I have called and checked at least 100 shops and have come up with nothing. On my way home from buying the truck I heard a tap that progressively got a lot louder so I took the trans out and saw the plate behind the flywheel broke off around where it attaches to the crank. If anyone has any info on where to find one I would greatly appreciate the help. I have been looking for over a month and no leads! Thanks in advance

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
why would that ever break i wonder? have you tried asking for one in the marketplace here yet? car-part.com to ask local or even distant yards,willing to ship?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Really not sure what you are asking for. So please tell us if you have the heavy cast iron flywheel and the "spacer" you talk about is what the torque converter bolts to. If that is what you need then I have a brand new one and.. there is a shop that sells them too. About 8 months ago someone posted the name of the business that was making and selling them.

Austinfee

Reaction score
Yes I have a cast iron flywheel. I need that thin flexplate "spacer" that's usually stamped steel. I can provide photos if you need.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
im 100% sure that you will NEVER find a flexplate for a 1990 IDIT

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you have a naturally aspirated engine. try that.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking the E4OD with the cast iron flywheel with the starter ring gear on it takes the same flex plate that the C6 takes.

Is this it?

Pic won't expand but I can take a better pic of it if needed.

Flex plates break because the bolts came loose on the crank, the torque converter nuts came loose or the ring washer on the crank bolts was never replaced, that washer spreads the clamping force.

Call here and explane in detail what you need, they may have it. Tell them your on "thedieselstop" for the discount.

AutoNation Ford White Bear Lake
1493 East County Road E
White Bear Lake MN 55110
(651) 301-8386

Attachments

• flex plate.jpg
    flex plate.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I shipped the plate To the member that needs it. I purchased the last one Ford had after they did a nationwide search. All idi engines can use the flexplate with the starter gear welded to it or the heavy cast iron wheel with this thin stamped plate and no rign gear but. Using the flexplate with the gear welded to it REQUIRES you use the special crank spacer to take up the room from the heavy cast iron wheel. I think I have one used plate like this but I have several heavy cast iron wheels. Years ago... Maybe 15 or so "if" you could find one thru Ford they were $450.00 each..:eek: They do not break but the gear sure wears out. I had mine moved so I had good gear teeth in those 3 places where our engines usually stop turning when we shut them down. Replacement gears are available too last I checked. I have a new Ford gear here just waiting for someones needs....:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Staff online

Members online